Couple of Random Notes From the Coaches Camp

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Apr 13, 2012.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

One thing that helped the 98 team is that you could put any person that posts on this board behind that line and we could have probably ran for 500 yards, if not more.

Skipping a beat is to be expected when you lose someone of Hunter's talent. But going from offensive juggernaut not incapable of getting a first down isn't skipping a beat. That's total shut down.

2. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Well yes. That's because we weren't a good team.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Walk ons and scout teamers

4. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Football is a collision sport. A team that doesn't hit in practice, won't hit during a game.

5. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Its pretty hard to [uck fay] up an offense when you return all of your OLs and a 1000 yard rusher. Chaney did that.

6. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Interestingly enough, St. John's in Minnesota, a D3 team, has a coach who believed in the exact opposite. He felt that most of the stuff teams practice are useless and got rid of them, including hitting during practice. He said that players want to hit someone so bad that they just unleash themselves on game day. He spent his practices running plays and focuses on execution and other things.

Of course, it's just one example and we don't do all the other stuff to complete the philosophy, so it's a moot point.

7. CardinalVol

Spring ball, summer practice, and one or two days a week during the season is the time to hit.

Green jerseys all the time doesn't equate into winning football in the SEC. You've got to be ready to punch someone in the mouth and be punched in the mouth too.

8. CardinalVol

Spring ball, summer practice, and one or two days a week during the season is the time to hit.

Green jerseys all the time doesn't equate into winning football in the SEC. You've got to be ready to punch someone in the mouth and be punched in the mouth too.

9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I know I only play D3 and you can say what you want about the differences between D3 and D1 or whatever, but I'm gonna throw what we do out there and see what you guys think. We go no contact in practice. We wear shorts every day with shoulder pads and helmets. When i say "no contact" I don't mean literally no touching. We never go to the ground. We still fit up and have contact, but if anyone goes to the ground they get yelled at. Our coach has the philosophy that we have too many chances of injury during the season, so there is no point risking injuries during practice. In fact, as DBs, as long as we are in the right position to make the play, we don't even have to fit up. We can just shoot our hands and tap the ball carrier's butt to show we are in position.

For the most part, we are one of the most physical teams that I've seen. We hit hard and go full speed just fine during the games. I don't think the lack of contact in practice really has a negative effect.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  10. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I think you can add losing your starting QB to this, too. Didn't really go "total shutdown" till that happened.

11. NukemVol

NukemVol Member

Our running game was terrible from the get-go. I think you can expect some improvement throughout the season, but not complete turn around. Once Hunter went down, Rogers got the attention. Then you were left with the great white hope.

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

We went total shutdown against UGA before Bray's injury. We actually got worse each week after Hunter went down. The more opportunity our coaches have to coach, the worse things get. It's like the US government.

13. CardinalVol

That's the most damning indictment of our coaching staff to date.

14. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

It's the truth. Check out how badly we have done after off weeks.

15. CardinalVol

I just think it's hysterical.

16. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I hope the current coaching clinics are better than when Fulmer was there. Those were the most useless clinics that I have ever attended. The best I have seen is Auburn when Tubberville was there. Of course, my head coach being a former room mate to one of the assistants helps in gaining more access than other coaches in attendance.

17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

look at this big shot! lol

18. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Kiffin had a good camp.

19. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

You dang skippy. However, I didn't like the behind the scenes tour of the War Eagle Supper Club. Scary place. Made me nervous.

20. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Most accurate thing I've ever read on a TN message board.