Spurrier strikes again

Discussion in 'Sports' started by justingroves, Apr 17, 2012.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

From NBC Sports Talk

On Saban:

““He’s got a nice little gig going, a little bit like Calipari. He tells guys, ‘Hey, three years from now, you’re going to be a first-round pick and go.’ If he wants to be the greatest coach or one of the greatest coaches in college football, to me, he has to go somewhere besides Alabama and win, because they’ve always won there at Alabama.”*

On Richt and moving the Georgia game on the schedule:

“I don’t know. I sort of always liked playing them that second game because you could always count on them having two or three key players suspended.”

He's wrong about Saban needing to prove himself outside of Alabama (his track record kind of speaks for itself) but it's still funny

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

apparently he isn't aware of the mike shula era. do you think this is spurrier excusing away his not spectacular record at USC? i bet saban could have them winning SEC championships.

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

What this tells me is that Spurrier really likes this ball team and we should be concerned about SC this fall.

4. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

i'm not so sure about that droski. Spurrier won 11 last year at USC and that has never happened at that crap hole. It's ashame we couldn't get spurrier when he decided to go to USC.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

This is Spurrier saying he thinks he's got a hell of a team. Alabama had a 10 win season under Shula in 2005. The team was talented but poorly coached. The only time Alabama has really faltered has been when they've gotten caught cheating.

6. Sleezboe

Sleezboe New Member

the Georgia game comments had me rolling...classic Spurrier

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The shot he took at UGA was awesome

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

before last year he wasn't materially better than holtz.

9. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

but spurrier did things holtz couldn't. Beat UF, and UT

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

doubt he would have beat UF and UT during holtz's years.

11. CardinalVol

Holtz came pretty close to beating UT himself in 00, 01 and 02.

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

2003 was triple overtime.

13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

First time SC ever won the East was in 2010. Actually I'm not sure they ever even came in third before Spurrier. They won it in 2012, too, of not for ridiculous SEC West games.

14. CardinalVol

For some reason I was thinking that one was 2001. 2001 was OT wasn't it?

15. Duckman

Duckman Chieftain

Holtz laid a pretty good foundation for Spurrier all things considered. Spurrier would have more than likely turned them around anyway, but having Holtz there saved the ole ball coach having one or two losing seasons straight out of the gate. Before Holtz got there SC was absolutely terrible.

16. CardinalVol

94, 96, 00, 01 and tied for it in 04 per wikipedia.

Never finished higher than that though.

17. CardinalVol

It's definitely debatable that Holtz's first team there in 99 is the worst SEC team of my lifetime. 0-11, and I'm not sure they were even that good. He inherited nothing.

18. DarthVisor

DarthVisor Active Member

I hope you're right, but thr last time he was this bold, 2007, SC finished the season 0-5.

19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Spurrier booted like eight starters his first month in charge. Holtz was notorious for scorching the earth right as he left.

20. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I can't recall that one. 2003 was the year James Banks played so well and won the game in OT. Dustin Colquitt might have played the best game I've ever seen from a punter.