Taking Back a Locker Room

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Hoss Diesel, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Hoss Diesel

Hoss Diesel New Member

I didn't play team sports past middle school, so I can only speculate what it takes to take back a locker room. To me, it seems like a near impossible task, because if you've lost respect from your players you've kind of been emasculated in front of the men you're trying to lead. I think the cliche "winning cures everything" applies here, and that would be the only way to regain a semblance of control and respect.

I'm referring to Dooley & Da'Rick here of course.

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It would help if the guys Dooley lost graduated. Instead, it's the majority of the players he has to rely on to keep his job.

3. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I personally think "controlling" a locker room is a bit overblown. Every team has players that hate each other or coaches they despise. The issue is whether those things carry over to the field of play.

Carl Pickens and Dale Carter would never be confused for locker room favorites, but on Saturday they shined. That's all anyone that plays the game and cares about winning should be concerned with.

4. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Can't "take back" something you never had. This guy's been in over his head since his arrival. On the bright side, Gruden and Raheem Morris will sort this shit out in 2013, gbo.

5. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

For all the jokes about getting Gruden, I gotta admit after watching his QB Coaching Clinic stuff on ESPN, he'd be my first call. He's got a passion not just for the game, but teaching the game that is hard to find. I think he'd be great inside a recruit's home, I think he'd be an excellent teacher of the game, he'd have a top notch staff and he'd know how to handle in game adjustments. My only fear is his patience once he gets the players he wants.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's not really about controlling it, it's about being respected. If a player respects a coach, he's not going to go out of his way to be a distraction.

7. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Agreed. Once you hit college or pro level, it's about managing a locker room not control. That begins and ends with respect. You don't necessarily control grown men.

8. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Managing a locker room is like managing snakes. Know where your poisonous ones are and try like hell to keep them under control and prevent them from spreading. The hardest part sometimes is figuring out which ones are poisonous. Once you've got it figured out, it's smooth sailing from there.

9. JayVols

VERY true. One of my biggest disappointments as a coach happened this year. We figured out that a kid that had our greatest respect turned out to actually be one of the most venomous snakes I have seen. She had us fooled for a long while. It has been a real disappointment. We took the steps to mitigate the poison, so now it's no biggie. We just beat our biggest rival last night, but she wasn't happy for the win because she didn't play. Very much a me kid. (Our rival I speak of is about 15 minutes east of us and have a similar main color scheme as your school NYY. Always nice to beat that bunch.)

10. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I was just reading about your alls win. Congrats on that. Anytime they lose, an angel gets its wings.

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

What opponent is this?

12. JayVols

Your home town school.

13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I had a suspicion. We don't lose, though. Occasionally let the other team win? Sure.

14. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Please tell me you're not an alum?

15. JayVols

No. That's their former coach that is at Johnson City's HS now. He's never lost a game. His team has given away games though.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  16. JayVols

Don't hate on Kpt, man. We should be applauding all the adversity he has overcome due to his alma mater. Despite his background, he is good people.

Besides, the series between our schools is one of the most exciting in our conference. They won the 1st game 5-4 in extra innings, and we won the 2nd 1-0. Great games to watch.

17. JayVols

Oh yeah, just to make it sweeter, we won starting 4 freshmen. We have been killed with injuries lately. Our #1 pitcher hasn't thrown in over a week. A freshman pitched a 5 hit shut-out last night. Plus, we have a legit pitcher coming in next year. She would be our #1 THIS year if she were here. The future is bright indeed.

18. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Yup. Only took me six years.

19. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

So you graduated with honors?

20. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Awesome. By the way, you can pm me if you need to, but were there any ramifications from the baseball situation a few weeks ago?