This 2011 class

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by volfanjo, Apr 23, 2012.

1. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I think it is safe to say the 2011 class will be one of the better in recent memory. Not in terms of W/L necessarily but just in performance, putting us back on track and becoming fan favorites. Maggitt and Johnson look to be stars, Randolph and Tiny are on the periphery of being stars, Williams, Lane and Clear look to contribute often this season, and guys like Couch, Downs, Crowder and Young appear to be solid football players despite some physical limitations. I guess what I'm saying is: there is a light at the end of this dark dark tunnel. Thoughts?

2. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Looks like we might've gone 0fer on the WRs, but it does look like there's a lot there. And it's not just spring practice hype. We've seen a lot of these guys contribute as freshmen in the SEC

3. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

it sucks that we lost Arnette, but those things happen (it was atrocious how it was handled though). After him it was a 3 star in ATH in Dallas and that's it (there was early speculation I think on Tino Thomas being a WR, but I'm not counting that). I'm not ready to give up on Dallas, so it's not like we went 0-5 or something, just 0-2 at worst at receiver.

4. Tar Volon

0/5, 0/2, it really doesn't make much difference. It put us in a pickle at WR and forced us to bring in 4 guys in the 2012 class (5 if Blanc plays offense), at least 1-2 of which will need to contribute immediately. And, of course, if Dallas starts showing something, it can do a lot to avert this pickle.

5. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Losing Arnett was no big deal per toos recruit forum. Everybody we signed will be better the day they step on campus.

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Kind of disappointed Dallas isn't doing more. Seemed like the coaches were really high on him. I think we passed on a couple of other guys for him.

7. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

I think it makes a huge difference. There were sooooo many needs in that 2011 class and WR was one of the least. We didn't focus on it too much and it has made the rest of the class stronger IMO. If we did sign 5 receivers and they were all duds it would hurt the overall class. But look at that class and look at how many of them are supposed to be big time players this year, in just their second season at UT. It's staggering that entering Dooley's third year, we're still looking this young. For all his faults, he's recruited very well and he's had too.

8. chavisut

Patterson needs to at least come close to his hype and one of the frosh needs to find the field. I like Bowles the most in the long run, but I think he might have the hardest adjustment.

9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

you disagree? negavol.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

A lot can happen in fall camp. I still think Dallas can be a contributor

11. chavisut

He looks like D. Moore so expect big things the last six games or so of his career.

12. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

I thought Bowles was going to be moved to S?

13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Maybe, but Dallas was an early enrollee last year and got passed up by Arnett. Wouldn't surprise me if some more guys pass him this year. Shoot, just from Saturday I'm not sure he should be ahead of a couple of guys that haven't ever played.

14. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Eh, I'm not ready to call Dallas a bust or wasted scholly yet. If in 12 months we're sitting here saying the same thing, then yes, but not now.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I can't complain about his recruiting. The only thing that may bite him on the ass is letting Henderson go to make room for lbs before Santos and Peters flipped. I don't fault Dooley for doing that, but that might be the biggest mistake he's made recruiting wise

16. chavisut

Jacob "The New Hope" Carter will force that move.

17. chavisut

The LB mess sucked, but that was beyond his control. Signing zero OL on the hand.....

18. Tar Volon

It doesn't make a difference when we're evaluating WRs. It allowed us to do more things at other positions, but if we praise the other positions AND ignore the failure at WR, we're double-counting the praise of other positions.

19. Tar Volon

I'm not calling him a bust yet, but I'll call him behind the curve.

20. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

so you're calling it a failure because he chose to fill the much more pressing needs of the football team? That makes absolutely no sense.