The All-Encompassing Offensive Formation Thread

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Apr 23, 2012.

?

Do you like the spread?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Meh

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
  3. No

13 vote(s)
    65.0%
  1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Not if you think it can work in the SEC, but do you like it?

Personally, I don't.

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

3. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Hate it. It has ruined the game at all levels. Any number of trap plays and dives don't exist anymore where a running back gets to try to run over somebody.(This is the spectator in me speaking, mind you. Not someone who is scheming to win football games.)

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The rise of 7 on 7 passing camps have spawned this

5. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I don't prefer it. I think the pro-style run the ball plus play-action pass is the best offense in football. That said I think spreading it out is a way for some teams to compete. I think it's tough to win a power league with it, but a team can win games with it. It doesn't make much sense to attempt to cram it down people's throats if you don't have/can't get the personnel.

6. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

I like playing to your strengths. Right now the spread accomplishes that.

7. Lexvol

Lexvol Guest

I like some more than others. Oregon is fun to watch. I never cared for Urban's version at Florida. From what has been developed so far, I still prefer a pro set.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

pro set has too much reliance on the qb. you guys have had good luck in that area historically, but the spread does seem to level the playing field a bit. if i have an nfl qb i'd prefer pro set, but i'm not sure high schools are pumping those guys out enough these days.

9. O+W=H.

O+W=H. New Member

If it's clicking, and keeping offense on the field, I'm fine.

problem is the other side of the ball. If you're just trotting your defense out there that much faster, what's the point...

10. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I think it puts too much of the game on the QB and a select set of receivers' shoulders. If it is no huddle, fast paced offense it limits the time your defense has to rest. Which I think is a hinderance.

Clearly it can work, but it almost doesn't seem sustainable in the long run, due to the offensive requirements. It just seems like it goes bad rather more quickly than the pro set.

Incidentally, are there any good books on the fundamentals of football strategy? Something like "The Diary of a Defensive Coordinator," that breaks down different philosophies, etc?

Would be interested to read some, especially if it is something a coach considers a "must read."

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I could make an argument that 1 stud RB and one complimentary RB offset the need for great QB.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

There are times in a game where the offense needs to hold the ball as long as possible regardless of if they score or not. It's easier to do that running a traditional offense than it is with a spread team.

13. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

And point directly to Alabama as evidence of that.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Or LSU

Or Tennessee's 98 team

15. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I believe they call this the "Alabama approach".

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

You cam play ball control spread.

17. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Not sure if this is a Freudian slip but I'd let that guy be my QB any day of the week no matter the offense. Panthers will be lethal this year.

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Is that intentional? Cam Newton was a freak of nature.

When you have psuedo TBs for QBs, you can do that. Tebow and Newton have been the only two that were big enough to withstand the beating they took between the tackles (Tebow especially, Newton had two good RBs with him at Auburn).

Oregon couldn't do it against a weak Auburn team.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Mobile typo

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Worked out well though