2012 NFL Draft

Discussion in 'Sports' started by tankervol, Mar 26, 2012.

1. tankervol

tankervol Member

My Top 5 Mock:

1. Indianapolis Colts: Andrew Luck
    2. Washington Redskins: Robert Griffin III
    3. Minnesota Vikings: Matt Kalil
    4. Cleveland Browns: Ryan Tannehill
    5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Trent Richardson

Is #4 too early for Tannehill? Probably, but the Browns desperately need a QB, and I would be shocked if the Dolphins didn't attempt to trade up to #3 to take him.

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Geez. No way I'd take Mullet Jr. high. Is he really projected top 5?

3. tankervol

tankervol Member

I've seen him mocked a few times in the top 5. If Miami doesn't trade up to #3 to take him, they won't pass on him at #8 if he's there. Cleveland could be desperate to draft Tannehill due to missing out on RGIII, and because Colt McCoy is terrible.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's funny watching him shoot up draft boards. He never seemed like he was anything special at all in college.

5. tankervol

tankervol Member

The Browns have so many needs that it's hard to gauge who they will draft. Tannehill, Claiborne, Richardson, and Blackmon are all guys I they could take. Holmgren is not big on drafting receivers early, so Blackmon may not be the choice. They desperately need a new QB, but #4 for Tannehill is probably too early and he won't be there when they pick at #22. They just got rid of Peyton Hillis, and Hardesty didn't show much last year so Richardson becomes an option. He is probably the best player in the draft outside of Luck/RGIII, but with McCoy at QB teams will stack the box to stop Richardson.

Which pick makes the most sense? Claiborne, IMO. Who will they draft? Tannehill, IMO, IYAM, JMO.

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

every year there are a couple of qbs who fit this mold. locker and gabbert were the ones from last year. i always kind of put stafford in this category as well, but he's turned out pretty good.

7. tankervol

tankervol Member

Agree. The NFL has turned into a QB driven league, which is why I think you see QB's getting drafted much higher than their talent merits. Gabbert, Locker, and Ponder are prime examples. Tannehill will be that guy this year.

8. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

Ponder more than Locker or Gabbert. Gabbert was always up there, it just never made any sense.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Oh yeah and then they wonder why they suck. Stafford always had a million dollar arm and a 10 cent brain. He throws it around enough in Detroit to make people forget the dumb throws and having Calvin Johnson bailing him out helps him too.

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Kyle boller was mediocre at best in college. he can throw it 80 yards on his knees so some dumbshit drafts him too high and then he flames out as anyone who watched him at cal knew he would. then aaron rodgers drops in the draft because he's a "system qb."

11. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

Compared to Alex freaking Smith, too.

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I think people were worried about the high bust factor with Tedford's QBs. Rodgers's predecessors ruined it for him.

13. tankervol

tankervol Member

The more I think about it, I think the Vikings will try to trade down in the Draft.

If Tampa Bay is as in love with Trent Richardson as I've heard, I think they need to trade up to #3 to get him. Almost every recent mock I've seen have the Browns taking Richardson, so moving up would ensure they get their guy. This would allow the Vikings to move down to #5 and would still be able to get Kalil, Blackmon, or Claiborne.

Cleveland could trade up to #3 to take Tannehill. They desperately need a QB, and they could address RB in Round 2, or at #22 given they don't trade that pick to the Vikings.

Miami could trade up to #3 to take Tannehill. The Vikings at #8 would still get a solid player to fill one of their many holes. Blackmon, Floyd, DeCastro, Kalil, or one of the many DL could be the pick there.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

No doubt, but in my opinion the only one that is even remotely surprising is joey harrington. that guy was a stud in college. dilfer turned out ok anyway, but wasn't a stud in college. smith was a head case. and boller was never very good.

15. tankervol

tankervol Member

3 days to go. I wonder how many trades will happen in Round 1?

Revised Top 5 Mock:

1. Colts: Luck
    2. Redskins: RGIII
    3. Vikings: Claiborne
    4. Browns: Richardson
    5. Bucs: Trade Down. Who the [uck fay] knows who with, however.

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Can't see how Claiborne could be worth that high of a pick. He's good, but he isn't going to transform your team or anything.

17. tankervol

tankervol Member

Personally, I wouldn't take him at 3. However, if the Vikings are going to have any chance at winning any division games this year, they need some serious help in the secondary. Playing Stafford/Megatron, Cutler/Marshall, and Rodgers/Jennings twice a year will be a hell of a lot harder with the current CB's they have. Is #3 too high? Sure. But I can see why the Vikings are thinking about taking him there. If they could find a trade partner, I think they would rather trade down.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  18. NukemVol

NukemVol Member

I always liked Harrington. I still partially blame the black hole that was Detroit, and the offensive line that couldn't get out of the way fast enough.

19. SetVol13

SetVol13 Contributor

Vikings need to take a left tackle at this spot. If they don't want to take Kalil at 3, they need to trade down and take the Iowa tackle.

20. tankervol

tankervol Member

I agree they SHOULD trade down. The only ways I see that happening are if Tampa Bay trades up for Richardson/Claiborne, Cleveland trades up for Tannehill, or if Cleveland gives the impression they are going to take Tannehill which would force a team like Miami to move up to #3 if they want him. I think another wild card in this could be New England. As usual, they are loaded with picks and they definitely are open to trading on draft day. I would bet New England will trade up, but not all the way to #3.

If Claiborne and Richardson are gone at #5, Luke Kuechly could be a surprise pick if they don't move down.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012