Arkansas to Hire John L. Smith As Head Coach

Discussion in 'Sports' started by LawVol13, Apr 23, 2012.

1. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

The Michigan State guy? Oh man. Is it Christmas?

3. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Yep, that's him. Seems very strange.

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Hmmmmmm..........................

Coached special teams there for 3 years before he left earlier this year to coach at Weber State where he has not coached a game.

Also noted for telling his team at Louisville at halftime of their bowl game he was leaving for the Michigan State job. Ironically enough, that is when Petrino took over.

Good luck with that Fayetteville.

P.S. - We have also found a coach that indeed I would indeed take one Phillip Fulmer over.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  5. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

There is a lot of speculation going on as to whether it's an interim or not.

6. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Have they gone into full meltdown? I can't imagine they expected much at this point, but his resume is pretty underwhelming.

7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Well he ran a Saban-made program into the ground. Let's see if he can do it with Petrino's.

8. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

He was already there. Stop-gap, I imagine. Or until Fulmer says yes.

9. SetVol13

SetVol13 Contributor

This will be an interim gig for Smith. I am surprised he would leave a head coaching gig for this. I don't think it is a bad move for Arkansas, considering it is just an interim position. He knows all of the coaches and the scheme, since he was there last season.

10. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I believe he was actually the Head Coach at Weber State.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I don't think he coached a game for Weber State yet though. I believe he coached special teams at Arkansas last season

12. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Indeed he did. I rewatched the Arkansas broadcast where Joe Adams ran it back and they kept singing Smith's praises.

BTW, if you think Petrino has some personality quirks, wait until you get a hold of this guy.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

pretty dumb if it's anything but just for this year.

14. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Smith left Arky in December and had just hired a staff at Weber, he left before he ever coached a game there. Petrino II

15. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Apparently it is just a one-year gig for now.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

hehehe.

But you know what is sad? Arkansas will probably have 2 or more wins than we will.

17. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

It might but funny if Dooley wasn't our coach.

18. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Read that Smith approached Arkansas asking for the gig. So he actively sought to abandon Weber State before ever coaching a game for a ten month contract. Seems like a pretty [penis] move.

19. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I know CFB is a business first and foremost, but the fact that Weber St was his alma mater just makes it 100 times more of a [penis] move to me.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

Didn't know that. Burning bridges.