Need opinion of the 8th folks...

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by MaconVol, Apr 24, 2012.

1. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

I have an Associate of Science from Volunteer State Community College, and I only like 30 hours at the end of this semester from being able to start my student teaching at Tennessee Tech, thus being done with college pretty much. I am getting pretty tired of going to school to be honest though, and i was just wondering if you guys think i should stick it out and finish my Secondary Edu degree, or see what could be out there since I already have a degree? Any thoughts will be appreciated.

2. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

By seeing whats out there, I mean any job that may interest me, that I otherwise probably wouldn't get, but my degree opens the door for me.

3. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Finish! It's only a year.

I guess MaconVol stands for Macon Co.?

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

If you are that close you might want to stick it out. Then again, maybe you could work and go to school part time to finish up.

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

One year is a very short amount of time. Finish it even if you think you wont use it. You will regret it later if you don't do it.

6. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Yes sir it does. Your the first one who has figured that out. Most everybody thinks its Macon, GA.

7. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Finish. Finish. Finish. You may decide against teaching, but you'll have the degree.

8. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Stay away from education. Period. It's only getting worse. Do something you enjoy and can make some money doing.

9. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

It's getting worse fast, too.

10. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

I'm an Educ. major. SMH

11. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Yeah talk about getting the debbie downer's in here about education. Jay, the main reason I am doing it is so I can coach. I think I will enjoy coaching for sure.

12. Volnbama

Volnbama Contributor

13. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

If you love, not just enjoy, coaching then you will be fine. I'm telling you, though, it is frustrating as hell. I enjoy coaching. It's been my passion from the moment I hung up the spikes for the last time. But even with that passion, the teaching aspect is killing me. Evaluations, parents and a group of young people who have no desire to do anything yet get positive results will make you want to punch puppies.

Either way, get the degree. But don't get into something this challenging because you "think you'll enjoy" coaching. Be certain. Trust me. If I didn't love coaching, I'd resign tomorrow.

14. DownNDirty

DownNDirty Contributor

I would say finish.........

And this is coming from a guy who got his Education degree in 2005 and never taught a day after getting the degree. I was and remain so sickened by the education system I turned my back on it completely. I was too far in before I realized nothing I could do was going to make that much of a difference but I stuck it out and finished up anyhow. Now I'm a Special Assets Manager at a regional bank. I can't fathom a scenario where I would ever jump back into education at this point in my life.

BUT - with only liking a year - I would finish if it were me.

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Just start dealing drugs on the side.

16. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

All the more reason to not go into education. If you're only interested in coaching, don't teach as a means to get there. Teaching isn't a means to an end. It should be your priority if you're going into that field.

17. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

TSSAA allows non faculty coaches. All you have to do is attend a one or two day class.

For Chavis also:

I hate feeling the way I do about education. It simply is not valued by too many students and/or their parents. We have a system that thinks those trained in education are the worst ones to consult when trying to fix problems. We have lawyers and businessmen making education policy who know nothing about it. Education is not a business to turn a profit. It's an investment. Until ALL involved see it that way, we will continue to grab hold of the next great miracle cure that will fix all the ills in education only to find out it was created so some guy could get rich and it is unsuccessful. Some of the issues have been brought on by teachers themselves to be sure, but I see no light at the end of the tunnel. I have 12 years left. If I weren't so far along, I would leave the profession immediately and still may if the right opportunity presents itself.

18. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Exactly. Do this rather than teaching if you have no interest in teaching.

19. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

If you just want to coach, don't be a teacher. You need to want to be a teacher to be a teacher.

There's a thousand different ways to coach.

20. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Sounds like you're enjoying it.