Rent

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Indy, Sep 15, 2018.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I’ll probably dig into this in more detail later, but I don’t understand how rent is determined in downtown area apartment buildings that are run by companies rather than individual property managers.

We moved into our apartment in downtown Baltimore on August 11th. At the time, the cheapest way to do it was a 14 month lease (we wanted to do 15, but it was more expensivethe, for whatever reason).

The unit two doors down is 100 sq ft larger, and can be moved into tomorrow for a 15 month period at a monthly cost that’s $100 cheaper than what we are paying. We will soon have neighbors who are paying less than us per month to get essentially the same unit as us but with a den added on.

A unit we considered that was similarly priced to ours is now $500 cheaper per month than it was a month ago.

I was perfectly fine with what we signed on for when we did it, but it’s a bit troubling to see prices so significantly cheaper just a month later. It seems unfair that I have to pay as much as $6,500 more per year than someone who just moved into a similar unit a month later than me.

Is this normal?

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

You signed in summer, they signed in fall. The demand is higher in summer.

lylsmorr and justingroves like this.
  3. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

The musical or the movie?

VolDad likes this.
  4. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

The book.

5. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

You moved into a crack den, no biggie.

6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

$500 cheaper per month? Dear God, I don't want to know what your rent is. No way would I want to live in a big city if those are the rent prices.

CitrusCo.Vol likes this.
  7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

You are an undesirable.

8. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

simple economics. and negotiate next time

9. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Do you have a better view of the crack whores on the street?

10. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

In talking to some folks at work - who negotiate for a living - I have been very surprised how unwilling to negotiate these corporate-managed buildings are, at least in Houston.

11. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

If they are in position to give the same apt away for a few hundred less in a few weeks, they'll probably take a signed contract at the same price and collect for the month instead of it being unrented.
    You just might have to do the math for them and make sure you are talking to the boss.

12. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

Do both units offer the same amenities? Recently renovated/upgraded?(New windows, floors, showers, etc)

13. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

They get all they can get at every single point in time. Your lease is independent of the next one.

lylsmorr likes this.
  14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Sorry you are poor bro

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

They are renting 500 square feet studios near me for $2,000 a month and I don’t exactly live in Beverly Hills.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

17. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Fuuuuuck that

My mortgage is $1100 a month.

reVOLt likes this.
  18. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Real estate in Cali around major cities is ridiculous

19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Why is the demand higher in summer? Leases are mostly 12-15 month commitments. How can 1 month later be THAT different, regardless of supply and demand?

Also, how do you explain it being more expensive if I do a 15 month commitment than if I do a 14 month commitment? We wanted to do 15 but had to settle for 14 because the price was outrageously more (like $250 more per month) if we did 15.

20. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Fair housing laws prevent negotiation. They can’t give me a better price than what they are advertising for anyone else. A leasing agent actually offered to hold a current price for us despite a move in date a month down the road, and she literally was not legally able to do it because they weren’t offering it as a promotion to everyone.

They real estate agent showing us around said he chuckled when he heard her offer it because he knew she was overstepping.