Jeff Gordon

Discussion in 'Sports' started by hotdogvol, Apr 19, 2012.

Tags:
  1. hotdogvol

hotdogvol New Member

Is a bad man!

2. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

...in 1997. I'm a fan though.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Wife and kid have changed him

4. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

I agree. Also, he dominated when he was with Ray Evernham, they had the fastest cars at the time. He was good with Robbie Loomis but not great and hasn't done much since then. The competition level is also higher than it was 10-15 years ago. He's still good enough to win a race or two each year and make the chase, he's above average but I don't see him winning anymore championships.

I became a fan of his when Rusty switched to Ford and Petty retired (brand was important to me at 13, I couldn't care less now.) I also liked that he was the one guy that could beat Dale Sr. on a regular basis.

5. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

Speaking of Gordon and Evernham together, I would like to see how Jimmie would run if he and Knaus ever split.

6. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

He used to be really good, now he is just solid. Still a top 10 driver, imo.

7. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Did hotdog sign up just to let us know, that Jeff Gordon was a badass?

8. SetVol13

SetVol13 Contributor

Evidently, he enjoys Jeff Gordon's hotdog.

9. Volnbama

Volnbama Contributor

I still think he's a top 5 driver but I'm biased

10. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I met Gordon at Darlington one year and really liked him. Sterling Marlin on the other hand...

11. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

it changes all race car drivers.

12. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

When they interviewed him before the race on Sunday, they made a reference to his "two decades of dominance." I'm still trying to figure out when that other decade happened.

13. Volnbama

Volnbama Contributor

If there was no chase he would have had 3 titles in the 2000s. I like to use that stat even though it means nothing

14. SetVol13

SetVol13 Contributor

Yeah, it is meaningless, but its true. I'm hoping that he makes a strong comeback and gets hot at the end of the year like Stewart did last year. He has had some strong cars so far this year.

15. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Kind of like Bama claiming national champs that no one else recognizes.

16. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

Eh, I hate the Chase just as much as the next guy, but you can't really go by the old points system when comparing it to what really happened. Teams like the 48 who pretty much mastered doing just enough in the first 26 races before really turning it on in the last 10 wouldn't have used that same strategy if the Chase didn't exist. Everyone pretty much races for points until September now, and why not if all it takes is being a rather mediocre 10th (or 12th in years past) in the standings to get a shot at the title.

17. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Exactly, beat me to it.