It's All On The Offensive Line...

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by **TDCVOL**, Sep 25, 2018.

1. **TDCVOL**

**TDCVOL** Contributor

Turnovers be damned, the majority of our problems could be fixed with big time line improvement. The bad part is, that's not something that can usually be improved in a few games. It's the slowest fix of all the problems in football IMO. I have no idea how its this bad.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Not sure what you mean by big time line improvement. Bigtime line improvement... or big timeline improvement?

TT, can you build us a time machine? If not, can we just slip into another timeline and abandon this one?

3. **TDCVOL**

**TDCVOL** Contributor

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

5. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Friend isn't a great oline coach, either.

7. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I thought he was pretty highly regarded as being a good oline coach? I always thought when he was at Georgia his lines looked pretty good but then again he had a cupboard full of highly rated OL players.

8. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

I'm not completely against Friend.

It's hard to judge his OL when he took over a steaming pile of shit outside of a couple of players and he alone is doing the rebuild. Cregg and Harry Heistand are both very well regarded OL coaches and they needed help from Chaney for the rebuild. While I think that the 2018 OL roster is better off than 2009/2010... only barely. This is a significant rebuild that Friend is doing alone.

Additionally, the playcalling doesn't help the OL at all. When the defense knows what you're doing it doesn't matter what your talent is nor your coaching. Helton has not helped this OL out at all.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He's okay, but he's not upper echelon

10. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

11. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I know him an Pruitt are friends but hopefully Pruitt realizes that we need the best at that position to win in the SEC.

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

He's making over $800k. He's probably a top 10 paid non-coordinator position coach, I'd guess.

13. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Aren't the salaries a bit skewed because Pruitt took a lower amount of money?

14. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I don't see why that matters. He gave his college roommate almost a 40% pay increase to lure him away from Colorado State. There was all this talk that Tennessee is finally back to big boy football because we were ponying up huge cash for the staff, but that's irrelevant if none of them are great.

15. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

On here?

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Maybe it was elsewhere. I know there were a lot of articles written to that effect, at least. I can't really recall what the overall reaction was here.

17. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Miami Dolphins have been working on their o-line for 10 years. Spent a bunch of top 3 round draft picks, and still need a little help

18. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

19. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Think the general consensus on here was he assembled a great defensive staff for the SEC, but the offense was going to be questionable at best.

20. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I’ll see what I can do. That sounds good on multiple fronts.