What every young boy dreams of...

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by fl0at_, Apr 25, 2012.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

2. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Did anyone ever play against Chuckey Doak on their home field? A long fly ball is a homer but I still brag about my two-run "bomb" I hit there.

3. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Was expecting to see a hot young chick that was begging to be "serviced". Disappointed.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

I've seen the field. I wonder what their home vs away HR stats are like? Bet they're skewed more than most.

5. JayVols

Unicoi County is the same way. Cracker Jack box. Funny thing about their field is they put up signs that say 310 or 325 down the lines when you know it's much shorter. I guess a town that would hang an elephant with a railroad crane is capable of most anything.

Even though I played in the area, I never played at the Doak.

6. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Unicoi is ridiculously small. That used to be our season opener every year.

7. I googled all time home run leaders for the state and the top 2 or 3 were from Unicoi. That explains it.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Would rather bang Daisy Duke in the General Lee, but the home run thing is ok too, I guess.

9. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Maybe. Unicoi also has some guys in the 90s that could flat smash it too.

10. JayVols

As Jo said, it's a combination of the two. Unicoi is a baseball factory. Former pro pitcher Ed Whitson is from there. They have had others in the Bigs as well. They are known for killing the ball, but their short porch certainly helps. Their softball team is the same way.

Not accusing anyone of anything, but three years ago in the Eastman Softball Tourney, I was waiting for our game to start and watching Unicoi play. They had an all aluminum bat break clean in two. The coaches rushed onto the field in a big hurry to get the remains of the bat. A red flag went up in my mind. I immediately thought that their bats were shaved to make them lighter. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if they were.

11. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Lexington's high school field is 314 down the lines and 345 to center.

The bright side is you learn to be a ground ball pitcher.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

I didn't know aluminum bats broke in two. Cracked or bent, but broken clean in two? That seems really, really suspicious.

13. JayVols

Sheared clean in two. It's very common for aluminum bats that have been shaved down on a lathe from the inside to make them lighter to do this. It's illegal and dangerous as hell. Imagine your daughter is a pitcher. She's around 38-40 feet away after striding when 1/2 of an aluminum bat with extremely sharp edges comes flying at her at a speed that would get you a fine on most highways. If my daughter or even player is hurt or worse because some jakeleg wants his daughter or coach wants his/her players to have the unfair advantage of greater bat speed, at the very least someone's taking a severe ass whipping with a fully intact bat if need be. Bullshit like that is absolutely pathetic. Unfortunately, there are more than a handful of teams in my small area alone that I wouldn't be one bit surprised if they got caught doing that. Parents and unfortunately some coaches are that damn crooked anymore. It's pathetic.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Should be easy to detect with a scale and an unmodified bat of the same size and model.

15. JayVols

Umpires can't make routine calls or memorize the rules anymore for the most part. What you are proposing is far too advance for them to execute.

16. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

To my knowledge, high schools are responsible for checking thier own equipment pregame now. Another damning indictment on the TSSAA.

17. JayVols

Umpires check our helmets and bats every game. They check for cracks, dents, 'ring' the bats to check diameter, and look for an ASA of NFHS stamp. They still couldn't tell if they have been shaved from the inside.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  18. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Yea baseball umpires used to do the same. Not anymore.