2012-13 Basketball Schedule Nearing Completion

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by volwarrior33, Apr 27, 2012.

1. volwarrior33

volwarrior33 Member

With the news that Wichita State and Xavier have been added, this looks like the schedule.

HOME
    Memphis
    Wichita State
    Oakland
    Belmont
    ETSU
    Chattanooga
    UNC Asheville

AWAY
    Virginia
    Xavier
    SEC-Big East Challenge

Neutral:
    5-Hour ENERGY® Puerto Rico Tip-Off
    Providence, Oklahoma State, Xavier, North Carolina State, Penn State, Southern Mississippi and Akron

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

We could win puerto rico.

3. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

That's an underwhelming home slate.

4. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

There's about 9 pretty good OOC games for UT

5. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

HTML:

NC State will be a formidable hurdle. Akron and X will be pretty good, too. Providence and Oklahoma State are capable of beating UT.

6. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

However, there's probably not a sub 250 RPI team in the bunch.

7. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

It'll be a good test. No juggernauts, but plenty of teams capable of winning. Very wide open field.

8. CardinalVol

It'll be a good test. No juggernauts, but plenty of teams capable of winning. Very wide open field.

9. homefry20

homefry20 New Member

Im glad we have one more year on the contract with UTK. Im not sure what our schedule will look like the next two seasons since the Big East still hasnt told anyone how many conference games we will be playing.

Ive always liked the basketball series. Its good for our city and both teams. I also like the football game here. It helps Memphis financially and helps UTK by getting to play in front of the Memphis prep talent. Id hate to see it all go to waste.

10. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

So excited for UT to be playing X and Virginia. I've been up to X three times and the Cintas Center is top notch... been to Paul Jones Arena at UVa is extremely nice as well.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm skeptical of it helping out UT in recruiting at all. I think it appeases UT alumni in Memphis, and that is it. Besides a small financial boost for UM, I don't think it does them any favors either. It feeds in to the stereotype of Memphis being lower tier to UT to get creamed in football with their own stadium filled with orange.

I don't mind that stereotype one bit, but it isn't good for Memphis.

12. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Well, it looks like our home-and-home with Kentucky is dead. Color me very, very unhappy.

13. homefry20

homefry20 New Member

I understand what you mean IP. I think we are going to terminate the football game once we get into Big East play. money will no longer be a driving force in keeping the UT game and the alumni can go to Ole Miss or Arkansas and see them if they feel like it. Basketball series is still worth having. Ive never been the type to not want competing teams in recruiting to not ever get into the city like Cal was. I think its a good game. I would like to see us start the series with Arkansas again but that will never happen until they play us a return football game after we beat them. Ole Miss serves no purpose for us and Miss St. is about to go down the shitter too. Vandy wouldnt bring enough fans so it really wouldnt matter.

Also, what is the SEC planning to do with the conference bball schedule? I noticed someone said you would be losing the H & H with UK?

14. Tar Volon

SEC is planning to have eight single games, four rotating home-and-homes, and one permanent home-and-home rivalry. Somebody (although I hear Cuonzo fought against this) thinks Vandy is a better permanent rival than Kentucky. As far as I'm concerned, this somebody should be strung up about now

15. CardinalVol

Its going to be flat out weird pkaying a&m twice some years but kentucky once.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm very, very disappointed we won't be playing home-and-home with Kentucky. Ridiculous.

17. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Grown ups are forgetting what makes college athletics fun: old time, historic rivalries. And all of this because of AM and Mizzou. Gross.

18. Tar Volon

In this particular case, just as much (or more) blame could be foisted on Florida and Vanderbilt. Kentucky and Tennessee wanted each other.

Cal actually proposed an interesting idea. Go Big East style and do the scheduling based on projected strength of individual teams. Top teams play each other twice (and get more chances at big wins), mid-tier teams play each other twice (lots of bubble team vs bubble team), and bottom teams play each other twice (so they actually have a chance to win one or two). Everybody plays the rest of the league once. While I still want Kentucky protected, this could work okay.

19. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

What the hell? I thought tar volon was kidding! screw expansion.