Better Call Saul

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by NYY, Feb 8, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Breaking Bad is the only show of all the best shows that I havent watched. Hoping this leads me in to finally begin.

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Saul's the one in the Bible that has the scales fall from his eyes and becomes born again in a good way. I thought the same thing about that being the moment he flips. He's just heading the wrong way.

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Gus is pure evil, and I love it. I hope we get more of his story.

Glad to see Saul antics with the guys who robbed him. That was well done.

I thought Monday was great.

4. Butthole

Butthole Chieftain

Last 2 episodes have been good.

5. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I’m not a fan of the crime syndicate genre, but Breaking Bad is still easily a Top 5 show, all-time.

justingroves likes this.
  6. Tenacious D

I totally agree on Gus, and I’d much rather they would have dug into how he became involved / came up, than on the specifics of how he built the underground lab, with the German crew.

The whole German crew storyline was (especially now that they’re all gone) 100% time filler, and that’s a trend that’s really, really starting to frustrate me about this show.

It’s incessant, pervasive and aggressive wasting of screen time - false tangents, characters and storylines that don’t advance the story, way too slow shots / intros - makes me feel like this season is just a setup for the next 2-3 to come.

It’s a transitional season, and nothing else.

That’s irritating to me, just in general, but it’s particularly inexcusable for a show that not only started with a largely established story and characters, but one which regularly takes such a longer off-season to produce.

Here, let me give you the same curse I’ve now infected my own mind with: make an effort to pay attention to how many minutes of each episode are completely wasted on silliness - a character getting out of a car, silently sitting in reflection, a wide shot of an empty room, etc. etc. etc. The minutes of wasted screentime per episode usually fall somewhere between “a shit ton” and “one nautical shit ton”.

I don’t know if it’s production issues, poor story development, wandering direction, tight budget constraints, a combination of some / all....but it seems much more intentional than accidental.

7. Tenacious D

I’ll add this, just for the sake of transparency, this is the only show that I make an intentioned effort to watch each week, because I really enjoy it. The potential for its characters / story potential great - but they need to start realizing it.

I am convinced that AMC is milking this for as much time / attention as they can - which is fine, as that’s what every network does - but you’ve got to be more adept at it than this, and you’ve got to give me more than they’re currently giving me.

Saul Goodman has the chance to be an all-time great television character, IMO. I hope they don’t screw it up with shenanigans.

8. CardinalVol

I've still got to watch this week's. Fall Break and 10/15 deadline have us an episode behind.

Appreciated the backstory of the bell for Don Hector.

Don't like sleezy Kim. She was supposed to be the yin to Jimmy's yang.

Agree on the construction part. Not sure what happens in season finale, but if it doesn't end with Gus/Mike going apeshit, it's going to be for a loss.

Still awaiting the other side of Lalo that makes Saul terrified of him. But, I like how he is presented initially.

9. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Waiting a week to watch an episode is getting old, I want to do like I did with the Ozarks, watch the whole season in 36 hours.

zehr27 likes this.
  10. Tenacious D

I’m getting to the point where I’m purposefully avoiding new shows, particularly those that many claim are very good, because I’m sick of waiting 12, 18, 25 or 28 months for the next season.

That shit’s just less and less worth it, to me.

I’ve learned some too-hard lessons on Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Better Call Saul, The Sopranos and now GoT.

Or, another way to read this list, if one wishes to discern a pattern:
    AMC
    AMC
    AMC
    HBO
    HBO

kmf600 likes this.
  11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I was just asking my wife last night what the hell other programs we even watch. Now that Saul's over, I think we DVR South Park and that's it.

12. Tenacious D

If you told me that I could never watch baseball, the NBA, the NFL, NASCAR, network television, or even live television beyond Tennessee games and the Super Bowl, I don’t think my life would change. Hell, I’ll even record the first half of some Tennessee games, just so that I can somewhat mitigate their 2 minutes of action with 20 minutes of commercials.

The wife likes to watch the local news in the AM and in the evening - Live at Five (Four? Eight?) and that’s the single most worthless shit I’ve ever seen. Ever. When did 30 minutes of local news become 2 minutes of sports, 10 minutes of shit they found on Facebook and 18 damned minutes of traffic and weather?

I legit can’t believe anyone willingly watches any of that shit.

13. CardinalVol

This is my mother. And she does nothing but worry about the world. Days she watches kids after school it's on and I just roll my eyes.

I'm also willing to help fund an expose into Don Dare's life.

14. CardinalVol

Watched the season finale last night. I liked it. Agreed this was the transition season, but I liked it.

Lalo vs. Mike is going to be fun.

Really enjoyed that we saw the birth of Saul Goodman, Esquire, at the end. Ready to see how he gets tangled in this.

15. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I wonder how they are going to write out his girlfriend. She seems pretty important to his life but was not in Breaking Bad at all that I can remember.

16. CardinalVol

She was not, nor was she ever referenced.

My guess is she's killed by Gus and friends.

17. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

My guess is she will off herself.

18. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Something has to happen. She is so important to him now but was nothing in Breaking Bad. I'm very intrigued with how it's going to go down.

19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

He loses a piece of himself with every loved one he loses. Obviously got way more lax on the moral end of things when Chuck turned on him. Once Kim goes, and she’s already leaning that way, he’ll be full on bad.

20. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I think it's definitely going to be the final nail that turns him into full Saul Goodman.