Ron Brown, Anti-Gay Coach

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Unimane, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

In light of the recent discussion of prayer at football games, there's this dude, Ron Brown of Nebraska.

Nebraska Cornhuskers aide Ron Brown -- Faith demands anti-gay stance - ESPN

Speaking as a non-Christian, it's pretty easy for me to dismiss the guy as a [uck fay]ing idiot and mindless zealot of an ever-diminishing concept of homophobia. However, I have to wonder at what point is this guy stepping over the bounds of his job and violating the non-discrimination policy of his employer. Personally, I am against firing someone for unpopular or blatantly prejudicial attitudes for many reasons, the least of which is not to make a martyr out of him.

A couple of things annoy me, though, in regards to the usual anti-gay, religious rants

1. The idea of a gay "agenda". Agenda is a loaded term, like some ulterior motive is taking place, as if they're trying to molest little boys or get extra tax benefits. Trying to keep yourself protected from being fired because you are gay is not an agenda.

2. The sense of certainty within the devoutly religious is always bizarre to me. I'm not sure what special insight he has over 95% of the world to be so forceful and unequivocal in his beliefs because of who raised him and ideas he's had ingrained in his brain all his life, but I guess it must be pure enlightenment. I'm about 99.9% sure Christianity is pure hogwash and 50-50 on an actual god, but I've never felt the need to evangelize for my "special" knowledge. I've never understood how one gets to that point.

Anyway, I have to wonder if this whole deal gets too much of a distraction once the media sees this as an issue they can continuously push on the guy, knowing he'll respond. I have to think there are some Nebraska folks sweating, knowing they may have to make a decision either way on the guy.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Clearly you are part of the Gay agenda.

I've seen people on this site use the term. I have no idea where one comes up with this stuff.

3. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

That's the part that seemed to jump out at me. I don't know what he actually said or what the ordinance actually says. If he just said if he's against gay marriage or something like that, I'm not going to hold it against him. I do have a big problem with people who spew hateful garbage against gay people or act as if homosexuals aren't human.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

bet you $50 he is forced out soon.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

He doesn't have to like gay marriage. It would be pretty effed up for him to want to allow discrimination against anyone to be institutionalized. There is a big difference between a personal opinion and and trying to make that opinion into procedure.

6. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

Unimane, you said you are 99.9% sure Christianity is hogwash. What kind of insight do you have that others don't?

7. Unimane

None. I'm also 99.9% sure that purple dragons don't exist either and are on par with talking snakes or people walking on water in terms of credibility. Essentially, common sense and logic, nothing anyone else is this world doesn't have themselves. Still, I don't make a point of ever telling anyone they are going to suffer for their beliefs, are inferior for their beliefs nor feel the need to evangelize my non-belief.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Clearly you are king of the high road.

9. Unimane

He asked. My last line still applies.

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Definitely no sense of superiority to the purple dragon folk. I am mesmerized by the respect and humility.

11. Unimane

When did I say anything about respect and humility? I can be skeptical like anyone else. Of course, I think I'm right, or more likely I'm right (Which is kind of a weird statement to make when I think it's not entirely possible to understand what is, but easier to ascertain what is not.), but I've never made myself superior to anyone else in terms of assigning myself a superior status or fate over others.

But, otherwise, you seem offended by the comparison of talking snakes, people walking on water to purple dragons. Can you provide me with legitimate evidence that provides for the rational belief of one side of the ledger over the other?

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I have no desire to debate the existence of a higher power with you. You essentially said that one would have to ignore common sense and logic to deny your views, making them the equivalent of purple dragon worshippers. Then in the very next sentence you criticize those who would attempt to convert you or assign you an inferior status due to your beliefs. Perhaps a little self examination is in order.

13. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

You said you don't make a point of telling anyone they are inferior for their beliefs immediately after you clearly implied that people who believe something that you don't believe aren't using common sense or logic.

14. Unimane

Not really, and spare me the last line there. I said that I possess the same abilities as anyone else to discern the obvious, plus I assign myself no greater status or fate, as those like Brown are wont to do. You might want to "examine" that distinction in my post, as well.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  15. Unimane

Common sense that they have. Besides, it doesn't make me a superior person to realize this, just someone using his faculties as anyone else. However, a Christian, in many respects, WILL regard themselves as superior in terms of their fate and denial of rights for others, as Brown is doing with homosexuals.

Tell me how I am do anything like those two considerations, please. Tell me how I am elevating my status, fate, life, etc. to others.

16. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I'm not religious, but I don't see much difference in the Brown guy and those who pretend that they somehow know Christianity is bullshit.

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

We just told you. If you want to be blind, have at it.

18. Unimane

I also think the same for purple dragons. Not much difference in pretending to know.

I also think that's why he doesn't want to argue the merits of common sense and religion because he knows it doesn't add up (which makes him as competent as me and no sense of superiority). He could argue faith, which is a valid position, but not one based in logic. However, he has not done so and, instead, chosen a path to try and argue that I am no better than someone who thinks I am going to hell for not believing correctly when I have no equivalent view, at all.

19. Unimane

You still don't get it and, no you haven't. All you've done thus far is proven that I think Christians are wrong, to a high degree of certainty. Do you think you are superior to me, if you think I am wrong about something? No, not necessarily. What you have failed to answer is if I have placed myself as a superior being, whether in body or soul, because of this viewpoint. Do I place myself on a higher spiritual or social plane because of my thinking on this matter? No, and you haven't done anything to suggest otherwise.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  20. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

If you don't consider yourself superior to people that believe in purple dragons you don't have a very high opinion of yourself. So that's one thing you have right.