Impact Recruits

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Tenacious D, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Obviously, higher ranked recruits are generally more preferred than lower ranked recruits. But, I often struggle to foresee / recall how recruiting is more about addressing positions / units of greatest need, and not merely trying to sign the highest rated players at just any position.

So, I’m trying to get some help in better contextualizing the 2019 class. With that, of the recruits that we’re chasing, and have any reasonable chance to land...

1. Which are most likely to make the largest and most immediate impact on this team, next year.

2. Which current players are most likely to be replaced by a 2019 recruit?

3. Which specific units does this staff see as being most important to get overhauled with the 2019 class?

4. Are there any high-profile recruits / JUCOS / transfers that Tennessee is in on, and has a better chance to land, than most believe? If so, who, and what are our chances at landing them?

5. What JUCOS / transfers are we hoping to land?

6. What will likely be the Top 5 most highly ranked players in this class?

7. Who are the Top 5-10 players currently on Tennessee’s overall board, and what are our chances at landing each?

2. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Wanya Morris and Darnell Wright (both OTs) will likely play day 1. Both are 5 star prospects.

I'd say OL and DL are most important in this class.

Laika Henry is a top JUCO LB that we need to hang on to, but I could see him making an immediate impact.

Darrel Middelton and Savion Williamd are both JuCO DL, not high on stars, but both are solid players and will likely be relied upon earlier with everyone we are losing on the DL.

Top 5 that we are recruiting that are not committed that we have a shot to land

1. Darnell Wright OT (all but committed)
    2. Owen Pappoe LB (I think the chances are rising with this guy)
    3. Henry To'oto'o LB (gotta get him on campus)
    4. Eric Gray RB (think hes still committed to Michigan but unlikely to stick)
    5. Zion Logue DL(committed to UGA, but an instate kid that we are really trying to flip)

Others: Crouch, Eboigbe, Ndoma-Ogar, Tyrion Davis, and I am sure there are a few more we're trying with.

I think Keyton at WR, once recovered from injury is going to be a very good player for us.

Jaylen McCoulough looks like a good prospect at safety.

smokysbark and IP like this.
  3. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

This is excellent, BOB - thanks.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He nailed it, there's not really much to add.

I do think Burrell and Fields will play quite a bit in nickel and dime packages at CB, too.

Elijah Simmons is a DT that isn't the highest rated guy, but he's built like a tree stump and should play quite a bit early on. I think he'll end up being one of the best in this class when it's all said and done. He's not going to rack up a lot of stats, but he'll control the interior OL and let LBs play free.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Both TEs that are committed are likely to play pretty quickly too. They are already bigger than most on the roster as high school seniors

6. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Middleton and Williams highest rated DL on 247 IIRC

7. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Dont sleep on Lampley. Saw him this year a couple times and he's got that old school UT lineman game. Big kid. His team broke BA's long winning streak running behind him.

8. BigOrangeBeech

Yeah, I am really interested to see these DBs, most are high level 3 to 4 star guys, that with proper coaching will probably turn in to really good players.

And yes on Simmons too. Need a good space eater

9. BigOrangeBeech

For JUCO players i think that is right.

10. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I am kind of surprised that Wood-Anderson hasn't done more. Do you think he will stick around another year with the new guys coming in?

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Watch him go the NFL and be the next Antonio Gates.

12. chavisut

I'm not sure where he would go.

13. chavisut

Without Wright, this is a top 5 OL class in the country. Add him and we have the best.

justingroves likes this.
  14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yes, unless he just goes on an absolute tear the last month

15. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

When you are the 2nd or 3rd read for JG in the middle, you wont get many thrown to you.

Memtownvol, utvol0427, zehr27 and 2 others like this.
  16. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

We will be pretty strong at tight end next year with him and the incoming guys.

BigOrangeBeech likes this.
  17. chavisut

We need someone that can get to the QB.

Harrison is intriguing. Has great measurables and plays out of position.

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He's playing at nose right now, which is funny to watch

19. BigOrangeBeech

Forgot to include Javonta Payton and Jaylen Ellis are a couple of WRs we are recruiting pretty good as well. I think with numbers the way they are we will likely take one of these 2.

20. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

Anthony Harris is another name that I think people don't mention because of questionable academics. But pretty sure he is another crazy good athlete.

I can't wait to see Keyton play here.