Lindsey Nelson Approved for Turf...

Discussion in 'VOLuminous' started by NYY, Nov 4, 2018.

1. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Will be a great addition and will also help drop one of the many barriers of recruiting upper echelon guys to Knoxville for baseball.

2. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Is turf really a big selling point? Seems like playing on turf would be a pain in the ass

3. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Is this a really common thing among the better programs?

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I think in our climate it is.

5. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Yes.

6. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

This isn’t your granddads turf. This stuff is top of the line... no bad hops. No rainouts. No snow outs.

7. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Probably still a few shut outs

8. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Shit load cheaper to maintain as well, I would imagine.

9. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

But so so hot in the summer. (Not that they really play any games on it then).

10. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

It’s actually not bad at all.

11. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

There will be costs to patch it in the higher traffic areas.

I do hope they keep a real dirt mound. Although the artificial mounds have came a long way as well.

12. JohnnyQuickkick

I play soccer on it and it’s like a damn skillet imo

13. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

The newer fields use a cork layer rather than rubber, which lessens the heat, but there can be as much as a 20-25 degree warmer temps in those first August weeks of high school football when compared to grass. It is so hot you can feel it reflecting back to you on the sidelines.

justingroves likes this.
  14. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Ive coached football on 2 of these surfaces. Alcoas is a few years old and is miserably hot. The new maryville turf is a lot cooler.

Shouldn't matter for a season that wont be used later than the weekend before memorial day though.

15. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

It also should be noted that the grounds crew has really struggled with the surface the last few years.

16. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Yup.

Also, I don't see why a dirt mound would be a problem. Considering it being covered, it shouldn't be a problem.

NYY likes this.
  17. JohnnyQuickkick

Yeah I don’t know which one I play on but it’s miserable on a hot day. Doesn’t even really have to be that hot, if the sun is hitting hard

18. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

Still depends on the company as to which they use. The cork is much cooler. There are also additional things they do now that can help keep the temps lower and in some areas actually increase the temp to assist with snow.

19. Butthole

Butthole Chieftain

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10SEvols likes this.