When's obama going to go after apple?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by droski, Apr 30, 2012.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Lower tax rate than any oil company or mitt romney for that matter. But hey liberals love apple's products so it's no skin of their back.

Report: Apple legally sidesteps billions in taxes

Apple has legally allocated about 70 percent of its profits overseas, where tax rates are often much lower than in the U.S., according to company filings.

The Times cites a study by former Treasury Department economist Martin A. Sullivan that estimates Apple's federal tax bill would have been $2.4 billion higher last year without such tactics.

The newspaper says Apple paid $3.3 billion in cash taxes globally on $34.2 billion in profits last year. That's a tax rate of 9.8 percent.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Legitimate gripe. They're also a very competitive and cutthroat company in their industry. I don't know why they have the rainbow and puppies reputation and Microsoft is the evil one.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

And the oil companies legitimately have overseas operations while apple is claiming they are based in reno to save 8% in taxes and are routing itunes revenues through luxenburg or something. does anyone not think apple is based in cuppertino?

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

How many CA companies do that? I know I've had two or three CA based companies as clients that were all formed in Nevada.

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

quite a lot i assume. but how many companies are so engrained in california with thousands of employees as apple?

6. CardinalVol

Not many, if any.

I am confused how they are escaping tax with this though. Other than Washington state, I can't think of any other state that has a more liberal nexus standard than CA though. Are they just saying no sales of iTunes and such ever go through CA?

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

they've set up the servers out of the country. i don't get it either though. how can you have THAT many state employees and pay zero in state tax.

8. CardinalVol

I don't either......

I may have to investigate this.

9. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Careful marketing.

I loved the Samsung (Galaxy something or other IIRC) commercial where everybody was in line for the new iPhone, somebody walked by with a Samsung phone, and everybody was freaking out about how awesome it was. One dude collected himself and said "I can't get that, I'm creative." A really well-done dig, but a commentary on just how ingrained their marketing is.

~sent from my MacBook

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I'd think going after Apple would be too unpopular for an election year. Steve Jobs is for some reason given a higher status than Mother Teresa and his death is still not too far in the past. I also wonder if going after Apple means he'd pretty much have to nail his buddies at Google, too.

11. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

For all of your (and oftentimes maddeningly) liberal views, your ability to maintain objectivity on a host of issues is always appreciated.

Given 1,000 issues, we'd likely disagree on 998 - but I never believe that you suspend your intellectual honesty to support a belief.

I wish that more people were like that, IP, myself included.

Just saying.