My Opinion on How Our Returning Players Project in a Motion Offense: Part 1

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by LawVol13, Aug 28, 2011.

1. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Kenny Hall: I think Kenny is a guy that's going to benefit from a movement-oriented half-court offense. You'll see some more post cross-screens and chances for Hall to catch the ball with a chance to score rather than him catching the ball 5 feet off the block with no movement whatsoever. Kenny should take a step this year. Tentative Projection 8 ppg, 8 rebs.

Cam Tatum: Cam is a harder call. He certainly has never struck me as a smart basketball player, and intuition is vital in a motion offense. I can see him having too many turnovers and struggling, especially early. It's hard to go from 4 years of a complete horse-shit halfcourt offense to playing real basketball, and I see Cam struggling. Tentative Projection: 12 ppg 3-4 TO's per game.

Jordan McRae: Physically, he's the most gifted player on the team. He's got some major upside; he's athletic, can shoot, can drive, and is a decent passer. He needs to work on being more disciplined with his shot selection, but he's an intuitive player that I can see flourishing in this style. With some improvement defensively, he could have a really nice year. Tentative Projection: 14 ppg.

Trae Golden: This is the perfect offense for Trae Golden. Being in this system will maximize his skillset, imo. He showed flashes of brilliance last year in the open floor making anticipation passes. In a motion offense, that's exactly the job of the point guard, to create and distribute. Hopefully, we'll see Trae be able to score more and improve his shooting. If so, he could be really solid for us. Tentative Projection: 8 ppg, 6 apg.

I'll crank out my thoughts on the other guys in the next couple days. Share your thoughts.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm more interested in your big-picture thoughts. Can we be even a .500 team?

3. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

Good idea for the thread, I think the projections are a little high for Hall's rebounding, McCrae's ppg and Golden's assists per.

4. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I think the absolute best case scenario is that we're a bubble team. Realistically, I think getting an NIT birth is doable.

5. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

.500 ball from this team should please fans. This team has zero post presence/depth and PG play will be average (hopefully).

6. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Hall will play 30+ minutes a game. It will be very disappointing if he can't get 8 boards. Golden will be the primary ball handler and also play 30+ minutes; thus, I think it's doable, but 6 may be on the high side. And with McCrae, I think he's our leading scorer. I think he gets 10+ shots per game, and I actually really think he'll get to 14 per.

7. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

I'll be stunned if Hall can play 30+ minutes per game. He'll rack up too many fouls for that to happen.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

If we're a bubble team, I will be very pleased.

9. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I'm hoping that Martin can improve Hall's defensive discipline. If he can keep Hall from picking up a couple bullshit fouls every game, he'll play heavy minutes.

10. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

CJ Watson averaged 35 min per and averaged 5.5 assists in 02-03 so if Golden can average 6 per that will be outstanding for this team.

11. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

That was CJ as a true Freshman. I think it's attainable for Golden to get to 6, but it may be wishful thinking.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

What sort of offense was CJ Watson playing in as a freshman?

13. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

A bullshit Buzz Peterson offense. I know Buzz ran a little flex, but the offense as a whole was incredibly unorganized. From watching Martin's teams, his offense should be much, much more conducive to assists than either Buzz's or Pearl's.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

That's what I was getting at, but didn't know for sure.

15. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

Looked it up because you have me curious, but the most assists any player has averaged for Martin was last year (30 min per game/3.9 assists per). Doesn't have anything to do with Golden though.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Hmm. That will be a stat to watch, I guess.

17. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

We'll see. Looks like I might be being a little generous with the prediction.

18. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

Not trying to be a douche but I looked up assist leaders in CBB last year and only 16 players in the nation averaged 6 apg or above. If Golden can get there we'll have a hell of a pg on our hands.

19. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

There were 90 guys who averaged 8 rpg and like you said if Hall can stay on the floor and avg 30 mpg that should be very doable.

20. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

If McRae, Hall, and Golden play up to their hype, UT is a bubble team.