Bill Polian

Discussion in 'Sports' started by kptvol, Apr 21, 2012.

Tags:
  1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Just showed a thing on ESPN about the merits of drafting running backs in the first round. Bill Polian's first round RBs:

Donald Brown
    Joseph Addai
    Edgerrin James
    Tim Biakabutuka
    Ronnie Harmon

Always bothered me that when discussing who was the best at working the draft Robert Kraft from the Patriots and Bill Polian were always mentioned. Polian made one correct decision with Manning that bailed out most of the shitty offensive players he drafted. And even then, he almost blew that one by going with Ryan Leaf.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

James was good for the Colts until his knees went out

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Edge was plenty good enough to warrant a first round pick. Addai, maybe. The others no way. Then look at the numerous first round defenders that sucked. He gets credit for drafting receivers and tight ends late that Peyton turns into producers. He is as overrated a GM as there ever was.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Not hating on Addai, but he wasn't really a 1st rounder type of guy.

6. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Keep in mind Addai and Brown were at the tail end of the first. Edge was a good pick and I would say Addai was a hit, not a star or bust.
    I just wouldn't spend a first round pick on a RB, no matter how great.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I could see doing it with a guy like Richardson if it's the one thing you're missing. He's going to have 4 or 5 seasons of being a bad mother[uck fay]er in the league.

I would do it, but rarely.

8. chavisut

If he's elite like Richardson or Peterson, it's worth it. If they're not a top ten overall guy it seems like you can just as much value with a second or third round guy.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Was Dominic Rhodes even drafted or did he sign on there as an undrafted free agent?

10. chavisut

UFA.

They took Delone Carter in the 4th last year which I think was a solid, smart pick.

11. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I've been impressed with Polian in his role as analyst. He sounds like he knows what he is doing.

Also, Biakabutuka might have been a solid pro had he not been so injury prone.

12. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

How did he almost go with Ryan Leaf?

13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

He had a pretty hard time deciding between he and Manning. Had to ask Bill Walsh to help him choose.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He had one good year didn't he?

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

only if your oline is already bad ass. i'd much rather get a stud olineman and take my chances of getting a decent rb in later rounds.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Agreed. Good RB's are plentiful, and look great with an awesome O-line. No awesome O-line, and any RB will struggle.