Do you fear for American culture as much as I do?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by volfanjo, May 2, 2012.

Tags:
  1. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Not immigration or religion or any of the things people dwell on, but that things like doggie bakeries exist, or that everyone's opinion is "equally valid" regardless of qualification, or that people have a constant desire to give a blow by blow account of everything that goes on in their life via social media?

I get bouts of "our country's culture is on the decline" mood swings weekly it seems. Soon I'll be in a rocking chair and curse the kids in the neighborhood for stepping on my lawn.

2. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

social media doesn't bother me, as you make fun of all my social interactions regularly. Things that do bother/worry me are things such as the lack of competitive drive in youngsters these days because they were brought up with the everybody wins mentality, lack of ability to do what used to be considered common and practical tasks such as changing oil, mowing the yard (correctly mind you, not just scraping the yard and killing everything), general farm work, or just the flat out willingness to get your hands a little dirty or greasy. I never imagined the Army would be full of such "pretty boys." Our lack of correct grammar and punctuation is also a huge worry as is being able to do basic math in your head and without a calculator. There's probably more, but these are the things that worry me off the top of my head.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It bothers me that participation trophy mentality has made its way into academics and the work force.

It bothers me that teenage pregnancies are seen as a way to fame.

Social media makes me laugh. Those that use it to air all of life's problems is great entertainment

4. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

This one kills me. I work in a pharmacy, and there is some math involved. Very basic stuff. Obviously we're not solving complex algebraic equations, but even still a pharmacist intern (that's right, an aspiring PHARMACIST, not a technician like myself, a PHARMACIST) still had to break out the calculator one day to figure out how many days 60 tablets would last for someone if they were taking four a day.

"I was just being sure," she explains.

Are you kidding me.

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

every generation has thought the one in front of them is going to ruin the world.

6. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Yes, and my generation might actually do it.

7. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Social media doesn't really bother me. The self-absorption is a little discouraging though. I know ordinary people that post every little thing about their day on facebook. Do you really think the world gives a [uck fay] that your soy latte was the bomb, or that you're excited about the next episode of Grey's Anatomy, or that you have a [uck fay]ing foot cramp? Get over yourself.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Omg. Just had the best sandwich for lunch!

9. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

You just described 98% of the posters on VN.

10. Ron Mexico.

Ron Mexico. New Member

For reference see the Kardashian thread.

11. Ron Mexico.

Ron Mexico. New Member

12. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Being in that rocking chair is great! As many kids flow in and out of my house, I say it all the time! I told about 10 a few weeks ago that we were going to play a game. That we were going to play scavenger hunt! They asked me what they had to find and told them "their own homes!"