Making moonshine- can I do that?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, May 2, 2012.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Is it legal for me to make moonshine, for personal use and as gifts?

Is it only the selling (and thus evading regulation and taxes) that is illegal? Anyone know?

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

you can absolutely make your own booze for personal use. There is a limit to the amount though.

3. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

If a revenuer finds a still they are busting it up no questions asked. It's that simple.

And more to the point, I do think making certain spirits is illegal, as well as possession of said spirits.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

But how many revenuers are kicking around Denver?

And if I am not breaking the law, I'll be asking some damn questions if they bust it up.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Damn.

7. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Sure you can, just don't get caught. You can make beer and wine, but not hard liquor. Personal use or not, illegal.

Edit: Droski beat me to it.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Looks like an annual license costs a few thousand dollars. If I were to make it, I'd have to actually sell it just to break even. Seems sort of counter-productive in controlling alcohol.

9. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Better question is do you have room for the still? It's a pretty labor intensive process that I don't think can be done indoors. (Or shouldn't be, is a better word).

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i guess i don't get the allure of moonshine besides saving a buck obviously. how could you possibly make it better or even close to a commercial distillery? and isn't it basically grain alcohol?

11. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Corn mash, droski.

12. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Commercial distilleries produce a more consistent product, but according to people in the know that is its only redeeming quality. (I.e, it's weak). Like everything in life, the allure of the illegal stuff is that not everyone can have it.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Droski, have some of the illegal stuff and get back to me. I'm just a commie carpetbagger, and I can tell the difference.

Doesn't have to be corn, can be any fruit/grain that has sugar and will ferment. Strawberry moonshine is awesome.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i'm always willing to try hard alcohol

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

The guy I knew through a friend of a friend who used to make it has apparently quit. That is what made me ask. I could probably easily find a new acquaintance that makes it since I went to high school in Union County, but it would be a cool hobby... Too bad.

16. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

If the strawberries are a part of the mash rather than added after the fact, you have brandy not moonshine.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think they were added after the fact. Good call, though.

18. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Hawkins County moonshine detective imo, jmho.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

so if you took a bottle of everclear and added strawberries to it would it taste similar? one of my booze mantras is it isn't a good booze if you need to add sweetner to it.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

The fruit would absorb the booze, and the booze would take on a slight characteristic of the fruit. It doesn't "sweeten it", because either way it tastes like hot burning ow. But with a strawberry twinge. Eating the fruit is instant intoxication, too.