2001 Tennessee 34 Florida 32 (Vols Drain the Swamp)

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by MaconVol, May 2, 2012.

1. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

[video=youtube;LWmzAzRg8e8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWmzAzRg8e8[/video]

This is one of the great moments by the Vols that i can remember from my childhood. I remember that we had been to Rivergate that day and has stopped at the Cracker Barrel in Gallatin on the way back home. UT went up 14-0 while we were in the Cracker Barrel. It seemed like everybody in there was excited. We got home by halftime and then watched the rest of the game on pins and needles.

2. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

That was an awesome night. A showdown in the Rose Bowl with Miami seemed certain. I even went out drunk after the game and bought a bunch of cheap roses to give to all the frauleins that night. Oops.

3. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

That's one of those "I'll always remember where I was" games.

A girl's dormitory, if you're wondering.

4. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Such an amazing game. Would be talked about with some of the '98 games if not for what happened the following week.

5. Travis Stephens was on point.

6. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Somewhere in there, Eddie Moore toe tags a Florida receiver. Can't remember what part of the game, but it's brutal.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The defensive line was amazing.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Just makes the Ambush in Atlanta all the more brutal. That game could have established another decade of dominance.

9. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I still can't believe that didn't put Stephens over the top for the Doak Walker.

10. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Luke Staley. Really?

11. chavisut

Three SEC tiles, four BCS games, and a NC with another appearance in a five year period. Yeah.

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I thought it was that guy from UCLA that played for the Panthers.

13. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Things that stood out.

1. Travis Stephens bouncing around like a pin ball. And caring guys that had 30+ lbs. on him 2 and 3 extra yards. Pure determination
    2. "Cool hand" Casey - never looked rattled
    3. Line of scrimmage was won by UT on both sides.
    4. Talent level of both squads.

That team may not have beaten Miami, but I would have liked to have gotten the chance. Clausen normally showed up big in big games.

14. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

No matter what age you are, everyone who grew up as a kid loving sports has a certain team from their childhood that will always hold a special place in their heart. The 2001 Vols will always be "my team".

I was only 8 years at the the time and it was the first season that I really experienced as a fan. Tennessee logos and the beautiful orange are some of my earliest memories, but I had yet to understand and appreciate the game of football until 2001. I guess the first 7 years of my life I was outside playing with the neighborhood kids on fall Saturdays.

I'll never forget sitting in my bonus room watching the season opener against Syracuse with my dad and seeing Neyland on ESPN for the first time. It was truly a spectacle for my young eyes to behold. Growing up in Nashville my family always had Titans season tickets, so I had been to plenty of NFL games and knew what a "big" stadium looked like. The first football team I ever took interest in was the 1999 Titans (I actually cried when we fell one yard short), and I will always like the Titans. But I swear it took only one panoramic shot of Neyland for me to "get it".

Watching the Vols run through the "T" on TV for the first time sealed the deal. I realized I would be wearing orange for the rest of my life. My dad was fired up because he knew his son was finally old enough to share in his interest for Tennessee football. Then the game started and the Vols made me fall in love. The first play of my UT fandom was a Casey Clausen bomb to Donte Stallworth for six! When you are 8 years old and your team just scored on the first play of your fanhood's existence, and you are hysterically celebrating with your dad, who is going just as crazy as you, life is pretty damn good. I haven't missed a play since we mauled the Cuse that day, and now I am nearly done with my first year as a UT student. I still smile to this day thinking about that play. I'll treasure that memory for the rest of my life.

Hopefully I'll get to experience the Vols hoisting another crystal with my old man by side.

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  15. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Miami O-line didn't let anyone get a hand on Dorsey all year long. Tennessee would've been the best defensive front they'd seen all year. Would've been a helluva clash.

16. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I still don't think they could have beaten Miami, but I do think it would have been a great game.

17. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

I think we would have had a punchers chance. They nearly lost to BC and VT that year. People didn't start to annoit the 01 U squad as the best ever until after people realized how many guys on their squads had impactful careers in the NFL. It wasn't like ESPN was blowing them like they did for USC leading up to the 2006 Rose Bowl. Don't get me wrong, they were loaded, but so were we. I think our Dline would have kept us in the game at least.

18. chavisut

I have always felt we would have had a better chance than most. I know we wouldn't have been out of by halftime like Nebraska.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

oregon should have been in that game

20. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Once we lost, you are correct. They got royally screwed by Colorado's anointing late in the year. I enjoyed watching them whip them in the Fiesta Bowl.