Question for the doctors......

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by CardinalVol, May 2, 2012.

Tags:
  1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

After being told my everybody looking at ultrasounds that everything was normal, my wife was told by her OB today that she has a case of placenta previa. I am currently trying to decide whether I should be concerned, freak out, or totally freak out as I know very little about it other than the 15 minutes I have searched the internet to read about it. Based on the reading, my initial response is freak out.

Help?

2. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

How far along is she? I'm fairly certain she will be put on meds to prevent early delivery and almost certain she'll have to deliver via C-section. It is certainly a worry, but as long as she takes it easy and follows orders everything should be fine. I'll keep you guys in my prayers anyway. Just tell her the goal is 36 weeks.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

my sister in law had it and she delivered normally. i think there are degrees to how bad it is though.

4. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

I don't know anything about it at all, and will keep you guys in my prayers, but searching the internet is a sure-fire recipe for freak out. You can probably search for complications from hangnails and find all kinds of horror stories that'll cause you to panic about the one on your thumb.

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

yup

long story short our fertility doctor essentially told us very early that my wife was going to miscarriage or our babies would have severe genetic problems because one week they were growing too slowly. we are now 15 weeks later and the genetic odds came back 1 in 100,000 and they are completely healthy. my wife practically ceased functioning after reading the internet.

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Your OB not give you any prognosis?

Did they do the normal sonogram or the, uh, more intrusive one?

It kinda all depends on where the placenta is positioned. I wouldn't freak out just yet.

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  7. CardinalVol

I wasnt there and got the brief description. I know its not totally covered and that it is just partial.

As for web search, i was hitting the reputable sites, not so and so's blog. Webmd and the like.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Well partial is better. I can't give you a lot more info than that. She have any other health issues?

But good call with webmd. Just avoid stuff where people can "comment". Like 95% of those are total insanity.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

hang in there, man.

10. CardinalVol

If message boards have taught me anything, it's never, ever, ever take comments with more than a grain of salt.

I think part of the reason we're both a bit nervous is that some family friends lost a child due to a placenta rupturing, and neither of us know anything about this. The wife is at 23 weeks this week and the last ultrasound was taken her 20th week.

11. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Cardinal - my wife is 23 weeks this week as well. I'll be thinking of you and your family, man. I don't have any data points to offer you ... but I wish you guys the very best. This whole pregnancy thing is enough to drive you crazy with concern/worry/etc.

12. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Good luck man. Prayers with you. If you would like, send me a PM describing what you know. My wife is a neo-natal intensive care nurse. I will show her the message and have her respond with any answers/insight she can give. She deals with this situation regularly. She won't be home from work until 8-8:30 tonight, but feel free to ask anything, my friend.

13. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Good luck and God Bless Card. Im sure it will all work out fine.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Seconded.

Hang in there

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Seconded.

Hang in there

16. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Hope everything goes well, Card.

17. CardinalVol

The wife has agreed to take it easy (a miracle in itself) for the next few weeks.

Seems that there isn't much to truly be overly concerned about for another 4 weeks really. Her doctor has been at this for 20 years, he isn't overly concerned as of now, and I'm guessing he's seen this a time or two. More reading and talking to family/friends has revealed that they know several folks who were diagnosed early on and it eventually corrected itself. Hopefully that will be the case here. If not, then we will cross any bridge we come to when we get there, and no need to worry about it now.

Thanks for the supportive posts gents. I appreciate it.

18. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

If you want to try out a new doctor I have a great recommendation. Dude is brilliant and everyone -- including my wife -- loved him.

19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Mel Gibson, Dream Gynecologist?

20. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Dr. Lou Holtz