Random college football thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by zero-sum, May 9, 2015.

1. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Bryant going to Mizzou.

3. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

See JT5's post. I honestly think he will be a bust there.

utvol0427 likes this.
  4. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Yeah, he was an average QB with Clemson's talent around him. He won't be very good at Mizzou.

zehr27 likes this.
  5. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

His line against UT next year will be:

35/42 429 yards 5 TD 0 INT

Indy and utvol0427 like this.
  6. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

???

He's going to push our shit in, and that's all that matters.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Think about it.

8. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Forgot they almost beat OU

9. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

10. clownbaby

clownbaby kidbourbon version 2 point no

And?

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Four slots for 5 or more conferences isn't really a playoff. It's just another layer of bowls.

12. clownbaby

They are. The AAC is actually really damn strong this year. I'm not even kidding that I think it's about as good as the ACC. The ACC is really really bad this year and the AAC is one of the better G5 conferences I can recall.

UCF, Cincy, Temple, Houston, Memphis...all solid.

The only truly abysmal team is UConn, though ECU is pretty damn bad too.

The MwC has Fresno, Boise, and Utah State, and then a drop-off. It's slightly worse at the bottom too, with two teams -- SJSU and New Mexico -- qualifying as absolutely atrocious .

13. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Expanding the current playoff format is a solution in search of a problem.

justingroves likes this.
  14. clownbaby

This all started from a desire to crown a national champion based on who the best team was in the regular season. The reason for the CFP is that there were sometimes 2, and in rare cases even 3, teams that had an equal argument to that end.

The current system solves that problem.

And never in the history of college football has there been a situation where more than 3 teams had a legit argument as being the best that year.

The CFP takes care of situations like this season, and thus avoids situations like 2004 Auburn. Expanding it further doesn't provide a solution because the problem is already solved as it is.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

It's a playoff format in name only. If you can go undefeated and win your conference you can end the season without going to the "playoff," then does a playoff really exist? That's a problem.

16. clownbaby

Indeed. It's a mechanism for cleaning up the messy years when the regular season does not answer the question of who the best team is in a clear way. It's actually overinclusive, and in some seasons entirely unnecessary

Nobody should be [itch bay]ing this year about being #5. Rather, #4 should be thankful for the gift they were handed.

InVolNerable likes this.
  17. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

It's a made for TV hypefest.

Playoffs are terrific at identifying the team that wins the playoff, not the best, and not the most deserving of a championship. The selection show and the controversy surrounding it are for exactly one reason: to put eyes on media coverage. It's crap, probably no worse than the other crap, but no better at determining a "true" national champion.

18. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I think the current system is about as good as you can get it without devaluing the regular season. The BCS, as much as everyone complained about it, was a lot better than what preceded it. In most years, I think it did it's job fine, but if you went back in time to those few years and threw in the four team playoff I can't recall a year that wouldn't have been wrapped up nicely. We start letting 8 teams in and freaking Florida would have an argument for getting in this year. At that point, the regular season just doesn't mean much.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    utvol0427, NorrisAlan and Volst53 like this.
  19. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I still want 16 teams because more football. Regular season would still be exciting as ever, and more football.

20. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Yeah, the BCS would have given us Alabama vs Clemson.

And while Notre Dame has a case, I don’t think anyone really believes they’re on par with those two.