TN OC Hire

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tenacious D, Nov 29, 2018.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I don't care that he got caught with hookers, per se.

I do care that he's got a 20+ year record of being a pious slimeball and frankly I don't think he's worth the risk.

2. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

The bad judgement that led to his being caught is enough for me... if he’s as good at calling plays as he is covering his tracks then....

3. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Don't be a fascist, Jeffrey

4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

[​IMG]

DC Vol and **TDCVOL** like this.
  5. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

If that’s his argument, then you must somehow be able to separate Hugh Freeze into two distinct halves - as a person and as a coach - and which is impossible to do.

What’s more, it’s all well and good to say, “Well, we’re just hiring him to coach football as an OC.” - but that’s no more possible than it is true. If he commits some heinous or embarrassing act, it will be seen as having been committed by a representative of the entire program, university, the state and in some measure, each of us, along with him.

The headline won’t read, “Freeze commits improper act with female student / violates NCAA rule, etc.” but, “Tennessee’s Hugh Freeze commits this act, or does that thing, etc.”, and damned rightfully so, as we would have been ultimately responsible and failed in hiring and placing him in that position.

And, in actuality, his duties aren’t simply and narrowly limited to football-related tasks, alone. He will be tasked with a duty to keep those around him safe and free of predatory behavior, of abiding by laws, rules and regulations, of being a proper teacher, conscientious mentor and trusted decision-maker to our players, our staff, and tasked with being constantly worthy of the enormous trust which we will place upon him and all of our coaches.

So, if you cannot separate the man from the coach - and you can’t - and you only care to hire whomever you think has the best chance to win football games, and ignoring who they are as people, then have your way and just go hire Art Briles, as others have suggested. His resume is certainly more accomplished, experienced and better than Freeze’s.

What the pro-Freeze crowd is arguing is that they want to win football games more than anything, or that the pursuit of that end is worth almost any risk or cost, however unnecessary. That’s not only easily and provably wrong, but is diametrically opposed and utterly irreconcilable with any person whose first loyalty rest with Tennessee, and not simply the football program, alone.

IP and Savage Orange like this.
  6. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

If religious summer camps can preach the gay away, Shirley we could send Freeze to one to put him on the straight and narrow. And seeing how Freeze is super religious and wants to tell everyone how much of a saint he is, he'll agree to the shock therapy and hymns.

7. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Don’t call me Shirley.

8. Savage Orange

Well said. Not succinctly said but well said.

Tenacious D and justingroves like this.
  9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

For Tenny, that's fairly short

10. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

With Tenny, that’s the equivalent of you and me texting, “K”

Tenacious D and Savage Orange like this.
  11. Savage Orange

I have a very conservative friend who’s a huge Dylan fan. He reconciles his affinity for him by telling me “you gotta separate the artist from the art”... of course, Dylan’s sins (besides his horrible voice) doesn’t involve minors but it’s the same principle... you can’t separate a person from their actions.

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

You start ruling out all the liberal artists/actors and you don't have much left as far as entertainment. But relative to other people in the industry, Bob Dylan really isn't all that liberal, or at least isn't extremely outspoken about it.

RockyHill and justingroves like this.
  13. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

What sins has Dylan done?

14. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

He played Chimes of Freedom at Clinton's inauguration party.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  15. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

1. Was born.
    2. Sang.
    3. Not yet dead.

How many you need?

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Well said. And I would add that the man is often of more importance than the coach/occupation.

17. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I think he dumped 1000 defective telephones out on the side of the road, so we can at least get him for littering

18. reVOLt

reVOLt Contributor

I think Arlo Guthrie was the one busted for littering.

19. **TDCVOL**

**TDCVOL** Contributor

CB5DFF1E-833D-48CD-97CE-D40B0ABE6BFE.png He’s one of the 5 greatest rappers of all time.

20. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Out there on Highway 61?