The Stock Market Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by golfballs03, Oct 28, 2011.

1. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

But you absolutely can’t look at the magnitude of the market. It’s the imbalance that matters. An extra 1-2 MBPD with no demand is massive.

droski likes this.
  2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

How would you have shorted it?

Isn't that kind of like saying if you give me $200, I'll give you $300. But you gotta send me yours first...

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

By investing in this NEW cryptocurrency sure to replace it! Check your pm's, it's like free money!

4. fl0at_

Shorting though a brokerage typically works via the brokerage holding the security, right?

Then you can buy to cover the short at a lower price, and pocket the difference.

But in crypto, wouldn’t people want to see that the amount went across the chain, into their wallet? Like actually, not just “in good faith?”

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Cryptocurrency fraud is rampant. I wouldn't think some sort of shorting process would be different.

6. fl0at_

I think if I were conducting a monetary transaction in a completely unregulated and decentralized market, that I would see the color of their money before executing that transaction, and would expect the reverse too.

Even if the website was totally something like NotFraudulentBitCoinAndImNotANigerianPrince.com, trustworthy as that site no doubt would be.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ya, that's just what the Man wants you to do, leave a paper trail!

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

There are instruments that own cryptocurrency now. It’s some sort of unit investment trust that holds bitcoin. Basically I can borrow shares of that and buy them back if it goes down. I’m not sure how well it tracks bitcoin though. That’s usually the problem.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Right the security owns bitcoin. So I’m not shorting bitcoin per se I’m shorting the security that owns it. I think there’s actually an short one now too, but I bet it sucks ass at tracking it accurately. It’s been like a year since I looked into it so I don’t remember everything exactly

10. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I have some Thomas Kinkade paintings if anyone wants to buy them...

11. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

How much? That’d be some good diversification on my portfolio to go with my Dale Earnhardt memorabilia

12. NorrisAlan

I can throw in some 1999 dot com stocks as well, if you would like.

13. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

If you had an actual stock certificate, that might be worth something one day.

14. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

If we've got any other bad news, let's just get it out of the way now and be done with it.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

My beanie babies are depreciating faster than my Bill Cosby sweater collection.

16. fl0at_

I have some GE...

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

a family friend of mine inherited like $500k of GE in 2010. I told her to diversify, but she wanted the dividend and isn't very sophisticated. i think it's worth like $100k now. kind of sad.

18. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Maybe they’ll bring back Jack Welch.

19. NorrisAlan

$1Trillion in stock buybacks this year, thanks to the corporate tax change. How do stock buybacks work and how do they affect the company? Why buy back stocks? Why not use that money for improvements in the companies, (egad) salary increases, etc?

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

there were record stock buybacks before the tax change. i dont' quite buy the theory that this is all the tax cut. stock buy backs reduce the number of shares available and therefore increase price per share. and who says they aren't using money for improvements and such?