Random college football thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by zero-sum, May 9, 2015.

1. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Sure, the 4 teams that make it play off to determine a winner. I'd even argue the playoffs were a solution in search of a problem. The overwhelming majority of the time the BCS got it right.

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I was 16 teams. I know I'm an outlier, but I think it would be fun.

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

No. There are like fifty leagues already like that. Quit ruining my favorite sport.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

How many times has a non-1 seed won the NCAA tournament?

5. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Objection. Relevance?

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Enough to have made the college basketball regular season borderline worthless.

InVolNerable and utvol0427 like this.
  7. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Gross.

Might as well not have meaningful OOC games.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

If the basketball post season was reduced to who the committee identified as the top 4 teams, many years it would have seemingly "gotten it right" while not actually getting it right.

Dalekanium likes this.
  9. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

A single elimination tournament with a large field is going to have a lot of variation.

MLB and the NBA have the truest champions in their best of series.

Indy likes this.
  10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

No. It wouldn’t have gotten the eventual winner of a 64 team tournament right. Just like the best team in the SEC clearly doesn’t always win the SEC tournament.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

By the same logic, the best team in the CFB playoff doesn't win the CFB playoff, necessarily. And the best team doesn't win a game. I guess we should quit keeping score, no point?

12. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Keep it at 4. 6-8 at the absolute most, which will probably happen eventually.

I'd rather go back to 2 before 16, but that ain't happening.

justingroves likes this.
  13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

There is no point to the regular season in college basketball other than building some kind of “resume” which a panel uses to seed you, based largely on who they like the most. Then, starting in March, you play games that matter. They’ll act like Duke-UNC regular season games are so important, but they essentially mean nothing. There was a time when Florida-Tennessee football was essentially for all the marbles. I want the regular season to stay do or die every week.

utvol0427 likes this.
  14. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I say [uck fay] it, just let Bama and Clemson play for the title every year.

MWR and chavisut like this.
  15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Limiting a 4 or 8 team playoff to conference champions only would be more do or die than the current system.

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I’d be fine with limiting it the top 4 to conference champions, but you’d need to set a standard for all conferences to follow.

17. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Imagine, though, if he Northwestern, Utah, and/or Pitt had pulled off upsets in their championship games.

Eventually, you’d get a couple of shitty, undeserving teams into the playoff.

18. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

So Bama last season, or Bama 2011 would be excluded?

19. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Limiting the playoffs to 4 teams means that only a select few have a "do or die" game every week. Most teams in college football are out in the first month or so.

20. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Yes. The regular season is the playoff.

InVolNerable and Volst53 like this.