Hugh Freeze

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by kptvol, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

I don’t get that feeling with Briles though. If any of that were out there it would have come to light by now.

2. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

No, it's already out there and it can get worse.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sp...-message-in-hiring-Kendal-Briles-12478485.php

In the era of #MeToo and combined with UT's known Title-IX issues... it wouldn't just be tone deaf it would be stupid for UT to bring Kendal on board.

Think about the negative recruiting as opposing coaches sit in a living room with a Southern mama. Bad move, even if the guy is a legit football whiz.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yep

4. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Is this it?

Football players probably have some idea already that some girls like to [uck fay] football players. I'd be surprised if every coaching staff didn't mention something about the aesthetic quality of the female population at some point during the recruitment process. That's not pimping, IMHO.

RockyHill likes this.
  5. Savage Orange

For real... Lacey Pearl Earps, anybody??!?

Memtownvol likes this.
  6. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

We have a 1st time HC and first time AD. It sounds like to me they worked together in the end and avoided what could have been a bad situation.

7. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

If Kiffin + Briles couldn't get more out than it did, I don't know if there is anything else with proof out there.

8. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

9. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

It's not about how we on the 8th or even the AD interpret it.

It's how the media and Mamas in their living rooms would interpret it.

We're not in an era of tempered and rational interpretation, we're in an era where a guy saying "nice blouse" to a woman is sexual harassment. This needs to be considered when a high-profile representative of the UT brand, especially tarnished by T-IX issues, is hired.

When Baylor is embroiled in a staff covering up rapes and sexual assaults and Kendall Briles is on record saying "come here and [uck fay] all the loose and drunk white girls you want"... it's really a bad look. A school like Bama could weather the storm, UT likely could not as the media will be waiting to pounce after UT shelved Schiano.

And this Baylor thing isn't over yet, as the Houston article iterated.... it can get worse and it likely will.

10. Savage Orange

If that’s the case when it’s time to hire anyone we may as well shut the program down...

11. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

That's what we were saying about Freeze with the Briarcrest stuff as well, mind you.

12. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

There are plenty of high-quality OC candidates that weren't on staff while the staff is directly connected to a pretty massive collegiate sexual assault/rape coverup and/or perving on middle-school girls. Kendall Briles even being on staff is a pretty big no-touch for schools with T-IX issues, especially when the guy is on record giving a soft condoning to "do what you want to them, they're sluts and they love it". That kind of quote is a gold-mine in the #MeToo era.

Briles and Freeze are great offensive minds and likely would turn around the UT offense in Year 1, but they're not the one-all-end-all. "Shut down the program" is a tad dramatic.

13. Savage Orange

As is “we can’t hire anyone if they have any scandal attached to them”.... if you look long enough, you’ll find stank on just about anyone. Some are just better at covering it than others but if you dig deep enough you’ll usually find it.

14. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Baylor was the target of pretty much every sports person's aim for a while. His dad's career was ruined. To date, there's one thing that can be specifically tied to him, and that is the white girls comment.

15. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I don't know enough about the Baylor stuff, and his role in it, to make an informed decision. My cares about Title IX are that the schools I support don't get smashed by it. I don't give a flying [uck fay] about #metoo, who I think should probably philosophically support doing things to sluts that they love, but that is another discussion.

I would like for UT to hire someone that isn't a proven scumbag. The margins of that standard are admittedly up for debate, but generally, like truth, character will out. From what I've seen, I wouldn't necessarily put Briles in the "proven scumbag" category, but it would take about 2 phone calls from someone like Fulmer or Pruitt to know for sure.

16. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

What? Freeze went into hiding. K Briles did not.

17. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

Both of them were picked apart by national media, and both have been fairly quiet for a year or so. Both definitely have the potential to be rekindled and take off if more witnesses/allegations come forward.

This Baylor thing is far from over. Players are making allegations and throwing the former staff under the bus, alumni are even dragging in a former Board of Regents member for making what is, pretty frankly, a disgusting comment.

Both of those have been covered in Dallas/Houston area media outlets in the last 2 months. This thing isn't over and whoever hires on Kendal Briles will be putting themselves front-and-center for any potential fallout if he is directly or even by proxy named in any future allegations/lawsuits.

18. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

Let me go ahead and say that I personally would be fine with Kendal Briles. I just don't think the UTAD/Admin will be fine hiring him considering the baggage he will bring and the potential baggage he could bring.

19. Savage Orange

The main difference is that Briles immediately found other employment while Freeze is (or was...) unhireable, even by Bama who otherwise seems to do whatever TF they want and nobody tells them no.

20. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Only one solution, female OC

Savage Orange likes this.