Softball Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by CardinalVol, May 4, 2012.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Knowing nothing good will probably come of this thread, I post anyway.

Anybody else play out there? Whether it be church league or every weekend.

I know that [MENTION=57]lylsmorr[/MENTION] did one summer, wondering if he still did.

2. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Thought it was a thread about Griff. #disappointed

3. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Church league was fun. Some people took it WAY too seriously, but it was fun nonetheless. No one in my current area plays unless its weekend travel ball and I'll pass on that.

4. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Will never, ever, ever play again. Ever.

5. CardinalVol

This sounds like a fun story worth sharing.............

6. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Used to play both church and open league saw more skirmishes break out in the church league.

[video=youtube;8UWwCftjR0s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UWwCftjR0s[/video]

7. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Tim Wilson is hilarious. The "George" song is my favorite.

8. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

15 police cars and two arrests later I knew it wasn't for me. That and I can't stand seeing guys who couldn't play dead in a damn western have success and brag about it. It's a problem around my home town. I know some good can come of it and I know some guys are passionate about it. I am too. I passionately despise it.

9. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I'm semi-cripple at times, so no I don't play. I do coach high school girls fast-pitch as most of you guys already know.

10. CardinalVol

Hahahahahahahaha

There are two things in life that increase in value over time - homes and the best softball bats. I bought a bat in 2007 for $150, sold it in 09 for $100, and it is currently worth $225 on ebay if it's in top condition.

I do agree that people get overly passionate about it. I was probably one of them. Now I'm being complimented on my calm demeanor on the field.

11. CardinalVol

I'm "coaching" our church team this year. We have one kid who has never played a sport once in his life and wants to try. First at bat he actually gets a hit, much to the shock of everyone on our side of the field, including his family. Next guy singles, and instead of running to second and stopping, he runs into left field. All you could do was laugh.

12. Beechervol

Awesome.

13. JayVols

Sounds like the local church league....except they bow together for a team prayer before being loaded in the patrol cars.

14. CardinalVol

Probably ask the cops to join in too.

In my younger days I may or may not have stormed off the field before the prayer and said it would be a cold day in hell before I prayed with the jackass "coach" from the other team though. If this indeed happened, when our head guy said if I did I was off the team, I may or may not have threw my jersey down and walked to the car shirtless.

Three years later I may or may not have ended up becoming friends with a guy from that team and he may or may not have thanked me because that gave them the door opening to tell the guy to quit coming.

15. Beechervol

Most of the ones I have played in are right the opposite. They pray before the fight. And cuss each other at the end.

16. JayVols

I cannot confirm or deny events I did not witness. I may or may not been right with you in that case. However, I may or may not have the ability to keep my mouth shut towards an opposing coach that may or may not have been a jackass.

17. JayVols

I guess it's a Northeast/Middle Tennessee thing. Each to his own, I guess.

18. CardinalVol

This would have been after we "shook hands" and I slammed the ball in his hand and he proceeded to decide to lecture me about respect. I proceeded to tell him he was a worthless piece of shit not worthy of it. This all stemmed because we had a dude get slammed in the mouth with a grounder that took a bad hop, and this jackass starting laughing. Earlier in the game their pitcher threw one inside and I opened my stance as far as I could and tried to pull one at him standing outside the dugout door.

Thankfully I have mellowed quite a bit, although this scenario happening again would probably cause the exact same reaction by me. Only now I am pretty good at hitting the middle when I want and would drill their opposing pitcher instead. :)

19. JayVols

Glad you've mellowed. I'm still an onery sum[itch bay].

20. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

It was.

Here's the story. I'm playing short. The team we're playing is a bunch of hicks. Our catcher, youth minister, had arrested the dipshit on second. Base hit to left. I go to cut off knowing the guy isn't scoring because of the terrible jump he got. almost as I'm ready to catch the ball I hear catcher screamin four. I'll uncork 1 and he's out by 30 feet. rather than pull up he plows the catcher/guy who arrested him. Fight breaks out. spills out unto the parking lot.

Here's where it gets good.... my dad had been playing with us earlier in the year until he tore his calf muscle. He just wanders out playing peacemaker like some of us were doing. all of the sudden a toothless redneck woman brings a damn softball bat out in the middle of the fight. He steals it from her and tells her to get back. this is when her toothless redneck husband decided to tackle my dad. I turn and all I see is a guy laying on top of my dad. Dad still has the bat, but he's pinned. I hit ole boy three times. Each time his head hit concrete and bounced right back to me. After the second hit he went limp. I threw one more in hopes it killed him.

Luckily, I never was charged because multiple people, even toothless hacks on their team saw what happened. My dad still likes to tell people that he didn't know who was hitting the guy on top of him, but he said it sounded like someone was hitting a watermelon.

And that's why I loathe softball.

Last edited: May 4, 2012