Tennessee High School Football Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by MaconVol, May 5, 2012.

1. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

I know its a little early, but I have been scouring Coach T and thought I would start this thread where we can discuss all things Tennessee High School Football related.

I suppose we could start by posting with who we root for.

The Macon County Tigers. A team coming off of back to back 5-5 seasons with 1st round playoff exits both years. New head coach Randall Smith replaces Mark Pemberton, who won a state championship at Knox Catholic in 2008. Pemberton took the Brentwood High Job. Smith comes from outside Atlanta, where he was a head coach for 3 years. Originally from the Putnam County area, Smith said he just wanted to get back home. This season is expected to be a rebuilding year for us.

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  2. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I suppose I still keep an eye on East TN football, specifically Greeneville High, Science Hill and Lenoir City for various reasons.

I've followed and watched South Carolina high school football over the last 12 years or so and have seen games throughout the state at this point. I have been fortunate to see some great players like Jadaveon Clowney, Jonathan Joseph, Rafael Little, Quinshad Davis, Syvelle Newton, Robert Ayres, etc. in that time.

3. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

I haven't got to see that kind of talent. I have seen Antonio Richardson play when he was at Pearl Cohn. I have seen Benjamin Cunningham from Goodpasture, who is now at MTSU, and I may have seen Patrick Turner, who went to USC play. I may have seen more that I can't think of right now.

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Dobyns-Bennett. Bow before me.

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Grew up and played for Lexington and follow them still. Last year's playoff exit was a bit tough to swallow.

Now live in Maryville, so I do get to see good football on a weekly basis in the fall. I also follow a lot of the Knoxville area teams just because I am a junkie.

6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Beat a team west of Morristown in the postseason and we'll talk.

woodshed likes this.
  7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Did it with regularity when I was there. Got absolutely screwed against Bearden a couple of years ago.

8. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I know it's been addressed alteady, but it must be said.

You guys are hell in the regular season, but you suck come nut cuttin' time in the playoffs. A Region 1-5A (or however they do it now)#1 seed DB getting beat by a Region 2-5A #4 seed is as reliable as the sun rising and setting.

I do hate it in a way. I have some great friends coaching there: Barrett and Christian.

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  9. JayVols

Off topic, but......

Any of you Maryville guys know the Blount Co. EMA director? Last name is Stinnett.

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

It's bizarre. Graham will come out in the first round of the playoffs with a completely different style of play. It's like he is trying to confuse our second round opponent. I knew a kid that graduated a few years back and the coach apologized to the team after a playoff loss saying it was his fault. He said it was the third year in a row he'd given the same speech.

11. JayVols

I have no explanation either. DB would be supported more by the area if not for the unjustified (in the grander scheme of things) local superiority complex. I did my practicum there. Witnessed it first hand. I know and honestly like Clark, Watson (defensive genius, imo), Burton, Barrett, Christian, and Wagner. All of them are really good dudes. But, the smarmy, jackwagon fans that more often than not never donned the maroon/grey on an athletic field, is what feeds the desire to witness the total annihilation of anything related to DB sports.

I used to frequent Coach T. There's a DB guy that pisses on everything not DB. If anyone ever finds out who he is outside of DB, dude better fear for his life. I know some good ole Hawkins County boys that would like nothing more than to give him....... an attitude "adjustment" let's call it. They would feel no more remorse in doing that than they would experience by squashing an ant. As a matter of fact, they'd be happier than a puppy with two peters if they got the chance.

12. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

I enjoy Friday night games. Only made it to one last year.

I plan on coaching.

13. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

High school football on a Friday night gets at all the senses... the sights, sounds, smells... all of it. You also meet genuinely cool people at high school football games. It's great.

14. JayVols

One of the main things I miss not coaching football are those feelings that only come on Friday night. Damn, you feel alive.

15. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Are you in school, chavis?

16. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

But when the ball kicks off it all fades away, and you're just zoned into the action.

17. JayVols

Yep, but the build up to that moment is intoxicating

18. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Yes. I left for almost three years and went back this semester.

19. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Smart move, man. Good luck.

20. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Grew up in Humboldt, kinda keep up with how they do a little bit. It's not the same now over there as it was then, though. New schools and stuff have changed things a lot.