20 years...

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by utvol0427, Jan 4, 2019.

1. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

20 years ago today was the last time Tennessee Football won a championship.

Two. Decades.

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

[​IMG]

3. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

Thanks for reminding me of that, I was in too good of a mood today.

And speaking of championships the fact that dabo could potentially win 2 NCs against Saban just makes me want to punch a kitten.

Memtownvol likes this.
  4. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Happy Friday, mother[uck fay]ers.

- utvol0427

5. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Add another 19 years to that and you’ll find Georgia’s last Natty...

Memtownvol and justingroves like this.
  6. rockytopblues

rockytopblues Member

Damn. What a sobering reminder.

I don't expect to win a NC every year. However, I do believe that we should compete for the East and win the division 2 out of every 3. At that point, let the chips fall where they may. That means we have a shot at the SEC Championship and the playoff 4 years out of 6. Out of those 4 years, we should be able to win an SEC championship at least once, really twice at worst. I don't think that is unreasonable expectations, considering our tradition, facilities, fanbase, etc. That is the bar, the baseline level. That means 8-4 is out of the question and 10-2/9-3 is the worst we should do on the 2 years we miss out on the division.

In my opinion, this is where Heavy got lazy in the last 5-8 years of his tenure as HC. 8 wins in a season at TN should NEVER be acceptable. EVER. But he let that happen on his watch. No excuse for that. While the past 10 years have sucked, the 8-10 before that did nothing to prevent it either.

That's my opinion. You cannot control what other teams do or how the playoff committee votes. Win your division, go to ATL, play your ass off and let whatever happen, happen.

JayVols likes this.
  7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

[​IMG]

8. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I was there.

utvol0427 likes this.
  9. NorrisAlan

Winning the East two out of three with Florida and Georgia is a tall order.

10. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Me too. My dad took me and made the comment that he was going just in case they don't win another while he's alive. My dad is only 60, but he may end up being right.

11. Savage Orange

Still need to be the goal. If we’re not competing at that level then what’s the point of even having a program, other than to generate cash for the university? If making money rather than winning championships is the ultimate goal now, somebody just needs to come out and say it.

JayVols likes this.
  12. NorrisAlan

But they have won 3 SEC championships since we won our last one.

Happy Friday, Assholes.

13. Savage Orange

If he makes it to 70 and we haven’t done it by then we have ruined over 100 years of history and tradition.

JayVols likes this.
  14. Savage Orange

15. rockytopblues

rockytopblues Member

It's a tall order because we've sucked for 10 years plus. Neither GA or FL are unbeatable, so I don't think 2 out of 3 or 4 out of 6 is unreasonable. I will not argue the East will be a 3 team race, but we have to get back in the race. That's more my point than anything else. That, and expectations have been set an all-time low for too long.

JayVols likes this.
  16. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

How many good teams have we had in that span, 3, maybe 4?

And all were pre-2007.

17. rockytopblues

rockytopblues Member

2001 was our last shot. Beat a Saban-coached LSU with Rohan Davey knocked out and back up Matt Mauck, we go to the Rose Bowl for our second NC in 3 years. Instead, that may have been the worst all-around performance from one of the most talented TN teams I have ever seen. Nose dive from there.

JayVols and Memtownvol like this.
  18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

2006's team was national championship caliber. A bullshit roughing the passer against UF and a missed fumble against LSU killed that, though. No showing against Arkansas didn't help either.

2015 and 2016 were good enough to be in the seccg and go to the Sugar bowl at minimum.

Dalekanium and Volst53 like this.
  19. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

99, 01, 06 was solid until Ainge got hurt.

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

2004 was a fun team to watch too

chavisut likes this.