20 years...

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by utvol0427, Jan 4, 2019.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Hey, all the other schools do that crap. I think it is silly as well (I really think we have at most 3-4 championships, not 6), but it is the silly game that they all play.

2. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Yale claims something like 26 natty’s... all of which came before airplanes were invented but hey, 26 natty’s are 26 natty’s!!

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

There were a few other seasons in the Neyland era where it seems like a title could have been awarded to us based on record.

4. Savage Orange

Looked to verify that number for Yale and it’s actually 27 claimed. What I didn’t know was that “Down the Field” is Yale’s fight song... it sounds a little different the way they play it but it’s the same song...

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

At least you aren't as [uck fay]ed up as usc

NorrisAlan likes this.
  6. Savage Orange

Iirc, the year we went undefeated, untied and unscored upon.... TCU won the natty...

7. Savage Orange

Says who?

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Whatever controversy there would have been, UT did lose the bowl game that year which was after the national title was awarded. But counter-point, they road a bus all the way to California and played the next day in that bowl game.

justingroves likes this.
  9. RevBubbaFlavel

RevBubbaFlavel Contributor

Does anyone know why we did not go to the Sugar Bowl after the 1967 season? Was SEC Champion to the Sugar Bowl not basically automatic back then?

10. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Sec champion didn’t automatically go to the sugar bowl until 1975.

RevBubbaFlavel likes this.
  11. Savage Orange

If you’ve got (or seen) the 100 Years of Volunteers documentary the section on that trip is one of my favorite parts in the story. Great color footage and the khaki pants with orange jerseys is a fantastic look!

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Nowadays we have guys sitting out these games just because they don’t want to jeaporadize their futures on what are essentially exhibition games. Back then they actually were exhibition games. Impossible to know how serious our guys were taking that game. Also, remember for them, they were probably fairly downhearted about beating everyone in front of them and then not getting any national recognition.

13. Savage Orange

George Cafego was hurt for that game, along with another star, maybe Bobby Dodd? I’ll
    Look it up and edit as necessary.

Edit: Obviously not Dodd...

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  14. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

I have the full length video(of the trip) on DVD. It’s pretty awesome if you’re into that kinda thing

Savage Orange likes this.
  15. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Dodd played in the late ‘20’s. Maybe you’re thinking of Johnny Butler.

16. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

Dodd played a decade earlier. Cafego’s injury is the excuse given but I believe he still played in the game.

17. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

No Cafego hurt his knee in the middle of the season and didn’t play again.

Savage Orange likes this.
  18. Savage Orange

Maybe, but Cafego was the only significant injured player for that game.

19. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

I sat down once with Coach Cafego in his office and listened to a story of Tennessee playing in the Rose Bowl. He said they went by train and that they would stop everyday to practice. There were a lot more details and he was fascinating to talk to.

20. TangoUniform

TangoUniform Contributor

true. I always thought the last one was 51, so to double check, I went to wiki and it maintains that we (or some editor) claim(s) 67, so... what's worse? 31 years or 47?