Memphis Area OL Haul in 2020

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by GoVols2003, Jan 23, 2019.

1. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

The Memphis area is loaded with good OL talent for 2020. By my count TN has already offered 4 of them with prospect of a 5th OL offer down the road...

Olive Branch (MS but 5 mins outside of Memphis)
    - Xavier Hill - recently offered. 6'5 and 300 ish. His junior year was his first year really playing. Big upside. Picking up offers left and right.

Briarcrest
    Big Omari is the headliner. Saw him in person this year. Mean streak. Offers everywhere.

Rodney Newsome Jr (dad played basketball at Memphis) is a sleeper. More of a guard prospect I would presume, but he is very big and not sure if he is still done growing. Needs some work on the body, but there is potential there.

MUS
    Marcus Henderson draws some Richmond comparisons but I have heard there is a better work ethic there. Also, Richmond had a lot of work to do on his body out of HS. I think this kid is a little better off there.

Freedom Prep Academy
    Chris Morris is another 6'5 kid. Freedom Prep is a small classification school, but I have heard good things about the kid.

*Keep an eye on this school as they have a 6'3 200 lb Freshman QB that is already drawing major attention. Apparently has a big arm...played Varsity QB in 8th grade. Tevin Carter is the name.

Seems like we are hitting this area hard. Not sure how many OL we will take in 2020, but these guys along with Ratledge and Mays makes for some big beef to target.

2. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Justin Rogers out of Michigan too. I think we're in a good spot with him. Top 100 recruit and 5 star I believe.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

What about Ray Curry?

4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Isn't Memphis part of Arkansas?

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Not under Pruitt, he's camped out there.

10SEvols likes this.
  6. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

No reason for the 19' OL class to be anything but as good or maybe even better than the 18' (and it will be exceptional finishing with Wright).

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

In a perfect world Tennessee lands

Justin Rogers

Tate Ratledge

Omari Thomas

Marcus Henderson

Cooper Mays

Bryn Tucker

Omari becomes a stud defensive lineman

Memtownvol likes this.
  8. BigOrangeBeech

Great list.

I think we have a great shot with all of those, but think Ratledge is probably the least likely. Got some work to do there, certainly not anything that we couldnt overcome, but hes who we have the most work to do with.

Keeping my eye on the Mayes kid out of NC as well.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Ratledge grew up in a Tennessee house

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Would it be an NCAA violation if I took him duck hunting?

11. BigOrangeBeech

Yep. Supposedly through all the Butch years we fell behind UGA and Bammer though.

12. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Mississippi, I thought.

VOLinDAWGland likes this.
  13. BigOrangeBeech

Doesnt really matter. They can both fight over it for all I care.

14. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Thought I was playing Where's Waldo for a minute (preview pic only shows 7 or 8)

15. Butthole

Butthole Chieftain

Tee recruiting Memphis?

16. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

I think a good portion of the staff has come in and out...

17. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

I may have forgot a kid... There is a massive OL at White Station as well. Not sure if he has an official offer, but he is definitely on the radar.

18. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Can we get some Memphis area kids that don't bust for a change?

19. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

Xavier Hill, 2020 OL from Olive Branch, (mentioned in op) visited this past weekend with his family and coach.

Memtownvol likes this.
  20. Memtownvol

Memtownvol Member

What are your thoughts on this kid? I’m sure you have seen him up close and in action. I have not had a chance to see him play.