Football and Concussions

Discussion in 'Sports' started by justingroves, May 8, 2012.

Tags:
  1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I guess the question is if a better helmet just makes people more reckless.

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

That's on the individual. You protect a person as best you can. If he chooses to use that protection as permission to act more dangerously that is his prerogative.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

You would make a good witness for the nfl in their pending lawsuit

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Do you disagree? Would you really prefer providing suboptimal protection to frighten players into playing nicer?

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The NFL should hold their hands too

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i agree with you. it's a situation where the damage has been done and the game has already changed. say you went back to leather helmets. long term maybe it's healthier, but you'd have at least 2 years of absolute carnage.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Kelley Washington had a pretty bad concussion just from bouncing his head on the ground while being tackled. He needed his helmet that play. There are other times when knees strike heads and whatnot where a leather helmet just isn't going to do the job. The solution is to he guys to stop using the helmet as a weapon, not take the helmet away.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

A lot of concussions occur because of the whiplash and subsequent head bouncing off the turf. That's where I think a helmet like that can help.

See this as an example:

[video=youtube;XlsCQA9H3Sw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlsCQA9H3Sw[/video]

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Jesus, i got jumped on for something i didn't even say.

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I don't think "jumped on" is accurate. I asked if you disagree with me and then outlined the implications of such a disagreement.

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

13. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

If playing in the NFL is so dangerous, these athletes are free to retire at any time.