Next Coaching Moves

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Beechervol, Jan 9, 2019.

1. OneForVol

OneForVol Well-Known Member

The schedule is much easier this year so it would be a colossal failure not to win 6 games minimum.

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

7 wins or fire them all

TDVol1989, zehr27 and utvol0427 like this.
  3. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

4. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Definitely. We should really be at 8 or 9.

5. reVOLt

reVOLt Contributor

What if we're at 6 wins, but one of those is against Bama? And the rest of the losses are close.

6. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

The expectation for me is 8, but I'm with Groves, they have to at least get 7, anything below that it's just hard to see a path to overall succeeding for Pruitt in my mind.

With everything we have returning, plus upgrades to the staff, plus bringing in better players, plus seeing the schedule get easier, it's not asking too much to get 7 or 8. Plain and simple.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

If the team stays injury free, yes. The dline is still really thin. The oline is going to have at least two freshmen starting.

There is almost an sec worthy 2 deep everywhere, just not yet.

8. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Really need Solomon to get eligible for the DL.

9. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

8+ - woohoo
    7 - solid enough total appeases the talking heads, isn't super flashy, but indicates things are "on schedule"
    6 - uh oh, talking heads aren't appeased, and a bowl win is needed to stave off losing season talk all off season
    5 or less - fire up the long term coaching prospect board

10. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

Aug. 31: Georgia State - W

Sept. 7: BYU - W

Sept. 14: Chattanooga - W

Sept. 21: at Florida - Probable L

Sept. 28: Bye

Oct. 5: Georgia - L

Oct. 12: Mississippi State - 50/50

Oct. 19: at Alabama - Probable L

Oct. 26: South Carolina - 50/50

Nov. 2: UAB - W

Nov. 9: at Kentucky - Probable L

Nov. 16: Bye

Nov. 23: at Missouri - W

Nov. 30: Vanderbilt - W

That's 6 wins and splitting one of the 50/50s giving us 7. We should aim for 7 this year, there are only 3 games we should lose and those are the usual suspects.

11. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Kentucky a probable L and Missouri a W? Given our recent history against those two schools, I'd reverse it.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Kentucky just lost every bit of production they had on both sides of the ball from a team that lost by 17 to Tennessee. I don't see them as a probable L.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  13. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

If we are going to be a championship caliber team with this coaching staff, they need to be able to overcome some of the roster issues to pick up some wins against lesser teams. After the UGA, Bama, and UF games, our next toughest game is either MSU/SC at home or on the road against a Mizzou team without Drew Lock.

14. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

I made that with the assumption that Stoops didn't find lightening in a bottle and he's a semi-legit coach. I think it'll be a tough matchup and I'm making some assumptions on our side like playing multiple FR in a hazardously thin OL and DL. That translates into being unable to consistently apply a run game as well as stopping one.

UK will be out for blood this year. Just my take.

15. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

I likened UK to a senior heavy mid major making a deep run. They just lost their best RB ever and a ton of defensive talent including their AA pass rusher. I believe they have 8 combine invites. UK isn’t gonna just next man up that kind of production loss.

16. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

No way we lose to Kentucky. I’m not going to be surprised if we beat Florida on the road or Georgia at Neyland either. I think 8 wins is very doable and a bowl win to get to 9 would be a fantastic season and a springboard to a top 5 recruiting class. Vanderbilt, Mizzou and Florida have been the beneficiaries of UT absolutely shitting the bed for years now... I think Pruitt is about to put a stop to that.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  17. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Very outside shot at 9 wins. Not expecting it, but would not amaze me. 10 would amaze me.

7 or 8 is very doable.

18. NEW COACH

NEW COACH Contributor

Someone on staff last year told me if we don’t go at least 6-6 this year (2018), then we didn’t do our job as coaches. That person is no longer on staff.

If I had to put money on it, I’d bet 7-5 for 2019.

19. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

So, Bill C just released his computer top 25 ranking for the upcoming season (based on returning quality from last year, recruiting rankings, and overall program quality over the last five years). I know people here have some complaints with him (and I do too), but it's something to talk about at least. This is how our schedule breaks down:

1. Alabama
    2. Georgia
    6. Florida
    10. Mississippi State
    16. Missouri
    18. South Carolina
    21. Tennessee
    37. Kentucky
    50. BYU
    53. Vanderbilt
    106. UAB
    114. Georgia State
    [Chattanooga unranked]

Going based on that, which is probably inaccurate but is as good as anything in February, there's really no excuse for anything less than six, but we're going to need to get a couple tough wins if we want eight.

Unsurprisingly, Kentucky is in the bottom 10 among power five schools in returning production. UAB is actually dead last nationwide. Next least returners on our schedule are Mississippi State and Vandy, but apparently the formula has been impressed enough with Mississippi State over the last few years to project them to be really good anyways.

FWIW went back and checked his projections last season and he had Tennessee 79th in preseason and 88th after the Mizzou and Vandy debacles. I know he tweaked the formula a bit, but either way, has us making a big jump.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  20. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

I honestly have no idea what to actually expect out of this team. I fully acknowledge that we have paper-thin depth at OL/DL, two position groups that we've really struggled to stay deep and healthy at over the last decade. We'll be playing 2 FR on the OL, so when I look at that angle I wouldn't be surprised with 6-7 wins, including some games we don't think we should lose, such as Mizzou/Vandy last year.

But then I'm reminded that Pruitt isn't just battling a thin roster left behind by the huckster, he's eviscerating an entitlement culture also left behind by the previous staff. Horrible S&C, discipline and even basic fundamentals were lost on a lot of upperclassmen.

If we have a good offseason of S&C and the entire roster stays 100% invested, I think this team could win 8-9, only dropping Bama/UGA and possibly Florida. If we start losing players physically or mentally, and I think we could, we could turn from a good team to a bad team very quickly. We watched exactly that happen starting with the halfway mark of the 3rd Quarter against USC last year. Then that team beat UK, but then got blown out by Mizzou and lost to a bad Vandy team by 25 against most of this board's predictions.