Dooley vs. TennStud

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, May 9, 2012.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Anybody know what happened at the Memphis Caravan Stop last night?

2. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Tennstud accused Dooley of ignoring Memphis.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Not a Dooley fan, but that is stupid.

4. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

For what its worth, he is getting out worked there by Ole Miss and Bama.

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

To some extent, I don't necessarily care. Out of the Melrose bunch for the mid 90s, we've not had that great of success there overall.

6. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Dooley has rarely missed on instate talent. He's got Carr this year and is good shape with a handful of Memphis kids.
    Who has Ole Miss landed that Dooley pursued? We said thanks, but no thanks to Ben Still.
    Bama has signed one kid, someone we didn't pursue heavily, in the last two years.

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  7. IP

IP Super Moderator

While I think it would be nice to have control of Memphis, I don't know that it is

1. Practical
    2. Realistic with the current state and nature of the program.

Also, I think Dooley has been doing more to get in on Memphis than Fulmer did or Kiffin really got a chance to.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Hyams said today that Tommy West made the claim that Memphis is the most overrated recruiting region in America. Said there was never more than three good players a year. This was while he was head coach for the Tigers.

9. chavisut

I don't think Memphis is regarded high enough to be overrated. Plenty of solid to good players come from there. If anything I think its underrated.

10. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

[​IMG]

Roy Adams aka. Tennstud

11. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

For some reason people always assume that big cities with lots of "athletes" must produce great football talent. It's not true. Having a large population is not the ingredient to top-flight talent. Having strong local rec leagues and good coaching, coupled with financial support from the local community is what it's all about. Look at towns like Shelby, NC or Rock Hill, SC or Valdosta, GA. Medium-sized places where high school football is boss, people love it and coaches are paid handsomely to coach it.

12. chavisut

As far as Tennessee talent goes, you can have Blount Co. and I'll take Memphis.

13. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I agree that good football players are there. I just don't know if there are enough of them to stress over when you can go to roughly 10 high schools surrounding Atlanta and stock your team.

14. chavisut

No doubt. However, being able to get 3-5 Memphis guys in any given year would be nice. I think you can find five guys in a good year. This year is a strong one for Memphis.

15. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Who is that in your avi? She looks like someone I knew once years ago. It wouldn't be her of course, just reminds me of her.

16. chavisut

Emmy Rossum

17. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

You may have seen her on tv recently. She is the spokesmodel for Revlon or one of those products now. She's also on Showtime's Shameless and a great actress. Rising star, imo.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't think Oldvol watches much Shameless, haha

19. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

The equivalent of a war between Syria and Iran. I don't care who prevails, I just hope they essentially destroy each other.

20. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I have to say three Hail Mary's after watching it. I can't imagine how a man of the cloth would square that.