Prager: Paris Climate Agreement

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Jun 2, 2017.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

No one bothers to mention how many birds already die due to fossil fuel emissions. It's far more than could fit through a turbine.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Don't I know it. The floating turbines being trialed off Portugal are designed and owned by an American company. They couldn't get it done here.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I own two off shore rigs

Or I could be joking, but keep that stick up your ass

4. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Let's go tuna fishing.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

You can't take a joke, you would throw me over board

6. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Not around your oil rigs. Too many Makos. But based on some of the things you want to fish for... you're going in the water out of tradition.

7. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Bump for IP.

8. Tenacious D

No, I can personally attest to Float's ability to take a joke.

Knowing each of you personally and well, the two of you are likely the closest pairing of personalities on this board, IMO.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

I thought I answered. If we exhaust wind energy, the sun has been extinguished and/or our atmosphere has been removed. Either way, fossil fuels will also be useless.

Wind is caused by air moving from centers of high pressure to centers of low pressure. These pressure differences are created by the uneven heating of the atmosphere and surface by the sun. You could theoretically fully harness it, but not exhaust it. That's what renewable refers to.

10. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

12. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Doesn't this make coal a renewable resource?

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

only equal to what is sequestered. if more coal is being burned than sequestered, or conventional coal is what is powering the sequester, you aren't decreasing the carbon output. if new coal is powering the creation of new coal, you are literally doing nothing.

14. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Obviously not to the level it’s used now. Restore a big portion to other forms. Yet this gives a renewable energy source to supplement cleaner energy sources yeah?

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yes-- with the caveats I gave. Coal created this way would be renewable. Coal not created this way would not be and would just continue the problem.

In other words, coal mining still has to end. Oil as a fuel has to end. Natural gas as a fuel has to end. This doesn't change that, it creates a new kind of renewable energy- synthetic coal.

16. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I don’t think these need to end either. But if you actually want to achieve aggressive climate scenarios then you do have to see significant reductions.

Until energy storage (batteries) are cheaper we won’t be able to achieve the highest levels of re renewables penetration without gas growth (offsetting coal in many places) in order to maintain grid stability.

But I do think we’ll see massive shifts in gas and oil use due to renewables, batteries, and decreasing gasoline demand due to efficiencies and EVs.

17. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I don't see a need to end either. Moderate and cut way back? Absolutely.

18. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Can we bury the synthetic coal and then mine it?

19. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

This man is a job creator

20. Tenacious D

This solves climate change.

We did it!

Now we can move on.