1 Seeds

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by kptvol, Mar 3, 2019.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

You all been listening to any of the chatter on which four teams will get top seeds? Hopefully the selection committee is less biased and more reasonable, but I’ve heard some insane talk.

Heard a guy say yesterday that UT shouldn’t get a 1 because their strength of schedule wasn’t up to snuff. However, our fellow SEC team Kentucky should still be considered. That happened.

Gonzaga is somehow a lock and completely immune to any strength of schedule argument.

ACC is definitely getting two teams in: UVA and Duke, and might deserve a third, UNC.

It’s really weird how the talking heads bemoan college football not giving the little guys a fair shake, then wholeheartedly support the basketball elite being the only teams considered for top seeds.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

I've heard some craziness, but you need to blindfold yourself immediately. That kind of lunacy you are describing is contagious, according to the Netflix documentary Bird Box.

Barring a complete collapse by both UK and UT, the SEC surely will produce a 1 seed. Tennessee likely has an edge on that at the moment, but would perhaps need to win out and outperform UK in the tourney to remove any chance of another outcome.

The ACC likely will get two 1 seeds. I do not see how it is possible to justify 3. If this occurred, the integrity of the tournament selection would be more in question than ever, especially if Gonzaga got the 4th seed because then there would be no consistency at all.

I also think two 1 seeds for the SEC is remotely possible, if Gonzaga failed to make its conference tournament final and somehow one ACC team separated itself upwards from the others. The problem is that the ACC has one of those patented Big 10 "house of cards" things going on, where any stumble or loss is used to promote how tough and deep the conference is, preventing any real fall from occurring. Juxtapose this with Tennessee and Kentucky, where their splitting to each other and losses to LSU are never mentioned as a sign of anything but weakness.

Louisville kinda [uck fay]ed us by losing that game against Duke.

One of Duke and UNC is going to get another loss and one of them will get another big win. Virginia has two dangerous games left, but even losing one probably wouldn't impact their seeding as they are clearly a 1 seed this year, despite what happened last year. Given that Duke never played any OOC game on the road and Zion Williams may or may not be back, there is a logic that if they lose to UNC they may fall to a 2 seed. UNC and Duke may indeed be playing for one spot.

But make no mistake, Tennessee's metrics just don't look as good as these top ACC teams. It's possible Tennessee ends up with a 2 if there is any stumbling from here.

A-Smith likes this.
  3. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Birdbox sucked camel [penis] and Michael Jackson was awful in it

4. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Vols have to win the SECT to get a 1-seed, imo.

tvolsfan and Tenacious D like this.
  5. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

0% chance they get a 1 seed without doing that. Imo

tvolsfan likes this.
  6. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

And I still think the committee seeds the bracket before the conference tourney's are over. Except in the case of a team that is clearly out winning it, they are virtually meaningless.

7. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Would rather have 2 in the south than the 1 in the West.

8. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

The talking heads are deeply desirous to have their golden boys (Duke, UNC, Izzo) leading the way. They were absolutely desperate to have Tennessee get beat, and losing to UK gave them a chance to lock in their narrative on us. We are a 2 seed no matter what we do.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

I disagree. If Tennessee wins the last 2 and wins the conference tournament, there is no way to lock us out. Just isn't possible. But that may be the only way to a 1.

tvolsfan likes this.
  10. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I am more worried about getting stuck out in California than actual seeding.

11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

We're 5th in AP poll. UNC up to 3rd, and Duke drops 1 spot to 4th despite loss to an overrated VT team.

12. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Also of note, VT jumps up 5 spots from last week for their win over Zion-less Duke. As IP has mentioned, repeatedly, the ACC gets to have their cake and eat it too. Duke doesn't suffer for 2 losses because Zion is out, but UNC and VT benefit significantly for those wins.

You can't have it both ways. Or, well, maybe you can. But that doesn't mean it makes sense.

utvol0427, HongKongPhooey and IP like this.
  13. IP

IP Super Moderator

but VT beat Duke, so Duke losing to them can't be too bad.

TennTradition, Indy and A-Smith like this.
  14. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

If we go 5-0 we could be 1 overall. I doubt we can do that though. I think 4-1 with a loss in the SEC championship still gets us a 1. Same for UK. LSU would need to go 5-0 and have a regular season loss by the team that *wins* the UT UK semifinal. Id be very surprised if the SEC doesn’t get a 1. Lot of complexity though. Also, I really hope we can stay healthy. That’s more important than our seed.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

I,am surprised you think LSU has any path to a 1. I think the ACC has a better chance at getting 3 than LSU getting a 1

16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

UVA is a lock for a 1.

UNC beats Duke (without Zion) at home to secure their 1 seed.

Duke (with Zion back) wins ACC tournament, beating UVA but not beating UNC along the way to secure a 3rd 1 seed for the ACC.

Watch.

17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Only path LSU has to a 1 is to win out and have a couple other teams melt down.

18. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I do not believe the committee gives the ACC 3 1’s. No way.

19. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Define melt down. Almost everyone will lose again. Two or three in the discussion may lose twice.

20. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

This isn’t happening.