SECT Thread

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by BigOrangeBeech, Mar 9, 2019.

1. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Might as well get this going.

I hated losing today. Hate losing period. And i hate missing a chance to win back to back season championships, but hardly anyone remembers the season championships anyway. It's time to win an SECT Championship and make a deep run in the big dance.

I want to beat UK again too. Get revenge against LSU. I'd trade that all for today's loss without blinking.

Hoping the extra days of rest will help us get ready and have some extra juice. We'll see.

2. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

We'll be a three seed, which is incredibly disappointing for a team supposing to be the best ever in program history. I'll believe they win a game like a potential semifinal against Kentucky when they actually do it. I would be careful of the quarterfinal, too.

3. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

As the three seed, they’ll have to play the late Friday night game. That could be tricky.

4. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

3 Seed could end up being a blessing in disguise. From what I'm seeing, Mississippi State will be the 6 and Ole Miss will be the 7, regardless of the outcome of their game their currently losing (I could be off on this).

I don't know about you guys, but I'd much rather play Mississippi State again over playing Ole Miss again.

5. BigOrangeBeech

The thing about it is our best 6 or 7 guys all have to contribute in some way for us to beat good teams. Doesnt mean they all have to go for 20 a game or 10 rebounds. It may be as simple as playing good team defense, no silly turnovers, not getting pounded on the glass, but people like Turner, Alexander, and Bowden, who are not our headline players, have to contribute. These 3 have all had their stretches where they've played well and where they have contributed absolutely nothing. Turner was there today and had been for several games now. Alexander did okay on defense and rebounding and Bowden had a great game. But those 3 all have to play well or we will lose against good teams and even some decent teams if they catch fire from 3.

6. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Man we lost 3 games in the sec this year, all on the road, 2 of them to 1 or 2 ncaa seeds and 1 at a tough auburn team, on senior day. Hate the loss but tied for first or 2nd is a damn good season.

Indy likes this.
  7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Still potential for share of SEC title.

8. BigOrangeBeech

To this point, today's stat line:

Williams 25 pts and 9 boards
    Schofield 13 pts and 3 boards
    Bone 17 pts and 7 assists
    Bowden 16 points and 6 boards
    Alexander 6 points and 9 boards (I'd take these kind of numbers every game from him)

Turner 3 pts (1-8 from 3, and 1-9 from the field)

Very much the difference in the game. We dominated the glass today 39-27. I still think we played a little relaxed on d too much in the second half, but all said, Turner cant go 1-8 from 3. Some of it is poor shot selection, something he has struggled with his whole career. But either way, we dont have much talent at all when you get past our best 6 players, so its crucial they all show up to win against good teams.

9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Turner is shooting the worst 3 point percentage of his career, and 9% worse than last season.

Is he injured? Has he regressed? Is he just in a slump?

He can contribute in other ways offensively. Hopefully Barnes will begin limiting his shots from deep or giving more of his minutes to Bowden.

10. BigOrangeBeech

He needs to play. We just dont have enough depth without him. He just needs to play within himself and play himself out of the funk. We know he has the ability to contribute at a high level and make big shots.

Scofield has gone through the slump too. The best thing Sco could do is drive the ball to the rim, get to the foul line more. Turner may need to take less shots, but he can still play good D, make good passes, set people up, etc. I thought he was bad on D today guarding Brown. But he just has to play his way out of it. Hes not bad at driving the ball at times when he picks his spots right. But his problem is hes forced things too much. He played great defense against UK. Need more of that effort when the 3s arent falling.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Didn't realize he took so many 3's. That is indeed a killer today.

Indy likes this.
  12. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Win on Friday and play the scrubs on Saturday. I have no desire for this team to battle through 3 games in three days right before the tournament. They need rest.

13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

[uck fay] that. Beat Kentucky.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

nah, play to win

15. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

5 days and the late game on Friday. That will be the most rest Tennessee has had in 2 months.

You either get Miss State on less than 24 hours rest or Texas AM with 2 games under 48 hours.

16. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Going to struggle on Friday and get waxed Saturday by UK.

17. Unimane

My feelings, too. This team is good, but we finally played a collection of good teams to close the season and, basically, went .500 against them. Hat is not high on this crew on his Twitter account, either.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Pull away mid to late second half Friday. If Reid Travis doesn’t play, we beat UK. If he does, they win in a close one.

19. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I'm putting 0 more emotional investment in this team. Sweet 16 is tops, and getting knocked out in the round of 32 isn't as far fetched as some want to believe. They aren't the same team from mid-January and before. I don't know what's going on, but that same chemistry isn't there. They currently have the backbone of a jellyfish.

20. Unimane

They've always had difficulty rising to the moment in a big game outside of Knoxville. Luckily, Admiral went ape shit on Gonzaga and saved that one for us, but we haven't won much of anything else if we're not in Thompson-Boling.