U.S. Presidents

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Savage Orange, Mar 11, 2019.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

It is just weird no matter who does it.

justingroves likes this.
  2. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Education has been going downhill since he was in office, he valued a balanced budget, opened party lines by pushing through some Republican policies (not many, but some), etc. I don't like some of what his social policies were but comparatively he was the last good president.

3. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Fair. Thanks

4. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Holy crap.

My man!

5. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Since the turn of the 20th century:
    TR-sucked
    Woodrow Wilson-worst president in American history
    Taft-no clue
    Harding-hard to judge, served only 2.5 years
    Coolidge-arguably the GOAT
    Harding-abomination
    FDR-below average
    Truman-decent
    Eisenhower-above average
    Kennedy-less than three years, somewhat decent
    LBJ-sucked
    Nixon-such a horrible person it’s cancels out any good that he actually did
    Ford-"There is no Soviet domination of Eastern Europe."
    Carter-Deregulated the airline industry, that’s one good thing
    Reagan-respectable
    Bush 41-vastly underrated
    Clinton-sucked(and got sucked)
    Bush 43-was brilliant in the days, weeks, and months following 9-11. It was all downhill after that. Really downhill
    Obama- meant well, but well...
    Trump- might be somewhat decent if he could actually shut the [uck fay] up for five seconds, but since that’s not possible.....

TangoUniform and justingroves like this.
  6. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Just to throw out there, Harding's cabinet was corrupt as hell and one got thrown in jail, the first ever for a cabinet official in American history, to boot.

7. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

“Somewhat decent”?

He saved the world from extinction at the moment of maximum peril in all of human history. 3 out of 5 stars.

I do like your list, otherwise.

8. JayVols

I agree with your 41 analysis.

9. NorrisAlan

Teddy sucked? Maybe I don't know as much about him as I should, but I think he was a great President, one of the giants.

10. NorrisAlan

I know for a fact that if I was in charge during the Cuban Missile Crisis, I would have been peeing and shitting my pants on such a consistent basis, that they would have had to install a toilet behind the desk in the Oval Office.

11. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Harding-abomination should be Hoover. Agree totally on Coolidge. Disagree on FDR. Not perfect by any means but definitely the right man at that point in history.

12. JayVols

Teddy is awesome if for no other reason than he insisted on giving a speech after being shot in the chest (in which the speech papers slowed the bullet down). The bullet was still in his chest. That's awesome.

Oh, and the National Parks System. Republicans used to be all about the environment.

13. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

FDR was a horrible president that just threw gas on the polices that Hoover had already started. Those polices only made the depression worst.

We were lucky to be the only super power standing after WW2 or those polices would have had an even longer crippling effect on the economy.

NYY likes this.
  14. IP

IP Super Moderator

if it were not for FDR, we wouldn't have been the only super power standing. good grief, between figuring out all the ways FDR got lucky when inheriting a depression and fighting fascism all while hiding being crippled, and blaming the housing collapse on government regulation that didn't even apply to most of the subprime loans, you're going to pull something with these contortions. I'm sure your private healthcare provider will be ready to assist.

JayVols likes this.
  15. JayVols

I've never seen someone with such a contrarian view.

16. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

It’s not that contrarian. It’s just not the standard popularized history.

Hover was anything but a do nothing president but really sucked at PR.

17. JayVols

Hoover fiddled while America burned.

18. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

That’s not true. He was very aggressive in implementing social programs to try to help ease the effects of the depression.

He basically handed the playbook to FDR for his first 100 days. FDR was a master at PR though and Hoover was an engineer that couldn’t sell shit.

19. JayVols

Let me expound.

Hoover's policies to deal with the crisis were akin to applying one of those round band-aids you get after a shot to the throat slash the American economy had received that severed both jugulars.

Hoover, like you, believed in an unfettered free market with little to no govt intervention. What's not taken into account is that people can't be trusted to do the right things if no one is watching, in general, and especially in money matters.

Every time an unfettered free market is unleashed, it rips itself apart. I'm not ant-free market. I'm against a free market without guardrails to protect the overall economy from the inevitable bad actors inside a free economy.

FDR says it beautifully,

"The true conservative seeks to protect the system of private property and free enterprise by correcting such injustices and inequalities as arise from it. The most serious threat to our institutions comes from those who refuse to face the need for change. Liberalism becomes the protection for the far-sighted conservative. – Franklin D. Roosevelt

20. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

I know a couple of guys around here who are all the time harping on what a horrible President Lincoln was... I’ll give you one guess what type of decor their trucks are festooned with...

JayVols likes this.