Bribery in College Admissions

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by RockyHill, Mar 12, 2019.

1. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Apologies if this is already being discussed elsewhere and I missed it.

I’m kind of fascinated by this topic. Not so much that rich people pay for buildings or bribe coaches to get their kids into schools, nothing about that could really surprise me I don’t think.

What I’m really curious about is, and I know there’s no way to come close to measuring this, is what these types of kids end up doing in their careers. I’ve always operated under the belief that there aren’t many idiots who basically did fake college that end up competing in the market.

I feel like most of these folks are either trust fund kids or end up basically being no show show employees at closely held companies. Up to this point in my life I’ve never seen someone with a “good” job just be categorically unfit and incapable of doing their job. And I’m not talking garden variety good ole boy network. I’m talking about a kid from let’s say USC or Texas working at a prestigious investment bank and just surfing the web all day, or at least something closer to that.

2. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I see no meaningful difference in this and donating to the university to get a student in. Both cases subvert the admissions process.

Now, paying someone to take a test for you is different.

JayVols likes this.
  3. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

The fact that wealthy people use fraud to get their overpriviliged kids into their college of choice over kids with less means who have actually worked hard to legitimately earn their way in is one of the least surprising "breaking news" stories in recent memory.

A news story about fish needing water to survive would surprise me more. Seriously.

GahLee likes this.
  4. cpninja

cpninja Member

Seems like it would have been easier to just bribe them the legal way

5. JayVols

Getting names on buildings is reserved for the obscenely rich though.

6. RockyHill

Apparently there’s this class of people that are wealthy enough to do it this way but not wealthy enough to do it the traditional way, with a building or whatever.

I think part of the reason this seems foreign is that the South has a much different dynamic. The rich people’s kids just go to SEC schools. Or High Point if they want to live in a very uncool yet luxurious country club.

7. JayVols

I did find one thing really funny about this. All our juniors took the ACT today. 9th & 10th graders took practice tests. Seniors did community service requirements for diplomas with distinction and/or Hope Scholarship.

8. JayVols

And future animal husbandry experts go to Auburn....

Sorry. Door was open. Had to walk through it. Peace, my man.

9. RockyHill

I have no comeback so I’ll just take it.

A-Smith and JayVols like this.
  10. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I liked the kids not knowing what their parents were doing part.

Mom: Ok I need you to pretend you're going to play a sport in college, lets say crew team
    Kid: What's a crew team
    Mom: Shut up it doesn't matter, just pretend. Once you start school you can quit
    Kid: Ok, seems legit

JayVols and lylsmorr like this.
  11. JayVols

I'm just giving you some good natured ribbing. You know that, I'd hope.

12. RockyHill

I do. I just hope you’ll be as good natured when I needle you about bribing your kids into an Ivy by promising the dean free Walleye fishing trips.

JayVols likes this.
  13. JayVols

That's fair.

A full scholarship would have to accompany that. I can't afford to plant ivy around my house much less pay Ivy League tuition...

14. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I had no clue San Diego was an elite school.

15. JayVols

Elite climate, imo.

CardinalVol and justingroves like this.
  16. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

San Diego is a shit hole.

If they made me mayor of San Diego, I’d live in Mexico and commute.

GahLee and hohenfelsvol like this.
  17. JayVols

Couldn't get there with that wall thingy...

I kid. I kid.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

this is the tip of the iceberg, the whole thing is rampant with fraud and stacked decks. it isn't the meritocracy it is portrayed to be. you can fight through it if you're stubborn, but your zip code and parents' income are more correlated to graduation chances and job prospects than GPA, test scores, or iq. that's just a fact.

I have taught at 3 universities and 2 community colleges. there were very smart students at all of them. from all kinds of backgrounds. there were also students who could barely read and had serious intellectual handicaps who could never have gotten in to a 4 year university without some kind of special consideration. one in particular stands out because I was spending a lot of time outside of class trying to keep him up to speed. I confided to a superior I was concerned about him being capable of ever graduating, and was told his father was an important donor so it would be important for him to... It devalues the whole process if the bar isn't comparable for everyone.

and part of this is the insane stratification in prestige across different schools, as well.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

One of my wife’s former coworkers was heavily involved and is named. She was the ad at her hs and ran a soccer club and created fake players for the main guy. Wow

justingroves likes this.
  20. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Excuse me, California is better than everyone. They except your apology in advance.