POLITICS AOC Election Chances

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Savage Orange, Mar 11, 2019.

1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I have a gland issue.

What's your excuse?

kmf600 likes this.
  2. IP

IP Super Moderator

and you think this is not possible without significant reduction in yield? why?

3. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Wait, there can be a medical reason?

I thought it was just because people are lazy and love free rides.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

no significant increase in cost. there would be a reduction in yield as well.

5. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Because we'd have to redo our entire food supply chain and redo basically every law on food safety and packing.

As a farmer, production is the easy part. The [itch bay] of it is processing and marketing and the laws are stacked to keep mega farms in place.

If we could actually get more freedom in the market, you'd see a lot more of the stuff that you want.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

where was the less freedom platform?

you are saying through "freedom" it would improve, but seeking improvement won't work.

this doesn't make sense. this is demagoguery.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

elaborate. what is oac's proposals, specifically?

53 just said the market would accomplish these things with more freedom. is he wrong? if no, what if oac adopted "freedom" as the mechanism? does it become wrong?

8. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I'm saying that most in the kind of farming that you desire. Don't want it to be mandated. They just want the chance to be able to bring their products to market.

A top down approach is what has got us in our current system

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

a) eliminate all greenhouse gasses in farming

b) break up large farms and support family farming

i think the consumer is forcing this to some degree. i'm not sure about the regulations

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm not convinced this will lead to starvation or requires draconian measures. the deck is stack so deep against small farmers. you cut the strings off of the Gov from the big boys and cut all their subsidies in favor of the little guy, and a lot of this occurs. cutting greenhouse gasses doesn't mean demechanization, it means a shift in crop rotation, how soil is utilized, cover crops, etc.

as is, the current system is degrading soil quality. increased carbon storage is a long term yield benefit.

you're assuming business as usual can continue indefinitely. it can't.

droski likes this.
  11. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Which do you think happens more often?

12. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

But 99.9999% it is laziness or simply not caring, there's no illness or condition that magically increases a person's mass. Medical conditions can make it more difficult to stay and be healthy, but at the end of the day it comes down how you treat your own body and how important you think it is to have a healthy lifestyle. If you truly value it, you will do it.

kmf600 likes this.
  13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

But I have the diabeetus

JayVols likes this.
  14. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

My favorite quote from the Dr. Its mathematically impossible for you to be eating what you're saying you eat and still gain weight.

I always tell my wife, we should give all those health issues that make people weight 650 pounds to the kids starving in Africa.

15. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Having spent most of my adult life working in a public health career, I can confirm this to be woefully true.
    And, there it is.

There is some truth in this statement, but by and large, being fat is one of the few things that seem to remain utterly inexcusable. I mean someone grows up in an abusive relationship or has other experience that leads to them abusing drugs, and there are folks who'll line up to defend their getting there, support them, and help them to kick their problem. Turn to food? You're just a lazy fatass.

The Dooz likes this.
  16. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I think neither happens as often as people think it does.

17. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Dr. Now said the medical excuses are bullshit.

18. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Thank you Dr

19. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

It's easy to demonize and assume the worst, so I'll attempt to convey tone the best I can over text.

Weight is all about personal control and personable accountability. The desire to offload the responsibility of our own actions is really sad to me. There is only 1 way to gain weight, intake more calories than you burn. There is only 1 way to lose weight, burn more calories than you intake. It's no more complicated than that. This might sound unfeeling, but we can't move forward if we can't acknowledge this simple fact.

I understand people turn to food to a whole host of reasons in addition to being lazy or simply not caring and many times people have to solve those problems before they can focus on their weight. But the reason someone turns to food isn't why they are fat. If that was the case, once you came to peace with past trauma, you'd immediately lose all the weight. They gain weight and are fat because they eat too much, eat the wrong things, and/or don't exercise enough. It's easy being fat, it's the path of least resistance. It takes work to be healthy, to eat the right foods, and exercise. Simply, its hard, I struggle with it. I'm not fat, but I'm not exactly healthy either. It's easy to run to BK for a quick lunch instead of taking 45 minutes the night before cooking a healthy meal. I also understand that I'm the only person that can decide if I'm fat, skinny, healthy, sedentary, and/or active and I'll only get as far as I'm truly willing to go. That's also the best part, it's completely up to me to decide who I am or what I'll be. If that's not an empowering thought I don't know what is.

I'm more than happy to support people when they take ownership of their situation, attempting to do anything before that point is an exercise in futility. I don't emphasize with the poor person that spends $200 a week on lottery tickets, I don't emphasize with the meth addict that keeps saying they'd quit if they had their kids back, I don't emphasize with the fat person that claims they wouldn't be fat if not for their thyroid. The excuses have to stop and you have to take ownership of the problem. For example, when you speak in an AA group you start with I'm lumberjack and I'm an alcoholic. Before you can say anything you have to own the fact that you have a problem, and at that point you have a community of people willing to help. Those are the people I spend my time on, not the woe is me crowd.

As an aside I'm also confused by this movement of fat is beautiful. Being fat simply isn't healthy. America's overweight and obesity problem is the overwhelming driver of our health issues which means its the root cause of a substantial if not majority of our health care costs. Saying fat is beautiful makes about as much sense to me as saying meth is beautiful with a picture of a man peeling off his face.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

folks are afraid of the truth: you are what you eat. a steady diet of skinny people will get you skinny.