Coaching and Youth Sports

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by cotton, Mar 25, 2013.

1. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

He missed? Tell him I'll need my payment returned.

droski and CardinalVol like this.
  2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

As far as I know, stiff arming isn't allowed at any level of 7 on 7 that I've ever heard of.

I would not let me son out there without a soft helmet (we're in the midst of the growing/clumsy can barely walk without falling stage), but I'm not aware of a league that requires shoulder pads. That said, Blount Co. only requires a mouthpiece, but the 7 on 7 leagues for older kids require helmets because it's a different level and it's pretty physical.

All that said, know what I do about Knox Co. rec leadership and some of the coaches, may the Lord bless you in this endeavor.

Tenacious D likes this.
  3. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Stiff arm would be silly to allow imo. And weve been in soft helmets since age 10, for protection from incidental contact, but moreso from the ground. 12 and 13 yr olds go up after the ball and weve seen some hard knocks.
    My son would be toast in this pic if stiff arm allowed.

Attached Files:

4. CardinalVol

I'm really, really curious who in the world thinks the stiff-arming thing is a good idea. I have my ideas I guess.

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

No. It’s a no contact league or at least theoretically is. Said kid I talked about before got clocked many times because he wasn’t paying attention. They are pretty liberal with the contact too. No helmets soft or otherwise

Tenacious D likes this.
  6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I’ve had a couple of meltdowns during practices and games this year from both my kids. Mostly about playing time. No chance in hell they’d do that to another coach.

7. CardinalVol

I've just learned I have to back off my own. If I put too much pressure on him he folds like a wet napkin because he wants to make me happy.

So, of course, he's one of my 6 pitchers this year and I've told him he's gonna have to be used at some point. Seems up for the challenge though. Eyes lit up.

droski likes this.
  8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I try to treat them the same, but it’s not easy. My issue is one of my boys is one of the top players in the division and the other is among the worst. I was always among the worst so this isn’t an ego thing. I never thought I’d have a kid that was more than average. Thankfully I basically have to play everyone equally at this point, but I’m not looking forward to next year. Hell one might move up to the next division and the other won’t. It’s going to be hard.

9. CardinalVol

So I had to order more equipment and it's all sitting in my office. Pretty comical.

10. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Jocks and cups?

11. CardinalVol

Tees, catchers gear, baseballs.

Ain't sab or indy over here.

kmf600 likes this.
  12. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Good thing its flag for both your son and that piss poor ball security

13. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Yep. And also a reason why hes not playing middle school football. Hes in 6th. Other kid "7th grader".

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I unintentionally threw stuff arms during intramural flag games a lot. It was just muscle memory

15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I did pretty good till crossing routes.
    That shits hard not to go on auto pilot

justingroves likes this.
  16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yep

17. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

It’ll all work out, Dros.

droski likes this.
  18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Take out back, toss a sword between them, and tell them there can be only one.

droski likes this.
  19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

A parent showed up to ump a game falling down drunk this weekend and a manager was caught having his kids switch jerseys to move a kid up in the batting order. good lord

20. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Cheese and crackers. I really hope my son hates baseball.