2019-2020 Season

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by Indy, Mar 29, 2019.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I don't understand the Bone chatter. I haven't seen him listed anywhere as a potential draft pick, and his play down the stretch wasn't all that impressive.

Is he concerned that he's gonna get less minutes next year to showcase his abilities with the new kid coming in?

2. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Gone or going to get draft feedback like Admiral did last year?

3. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Am I crazy in thinking Grant won't do anything in the NBA? Too small to play in the post and not athletic enough for the perimeter. If there is a team willing to give him first round guaranteed money he should 100% leave, but I just don't see him working out at all.

4. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Honest questions:

Are Fulk & Pons SEC-caliber players?

If not, how far away are they, and how likely is it that they will become SEC-caliber, before they leave?

5. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

And with the rumors that Texas A&M is about to steal VaTech’s coach, the SEC seems set on getting even more serious about hoops, IMO.

6. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Fulk is serviceable off the bench.

Pons has the athleticism but not the skill. But I don't think he has been playing basketball very long, so the lack of skill is to be expected and can hopefully be developed.

7. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Pons seems like a dude who just learned how to play basketball when he was 15. I guess it's like Europeans seeing an American soccer player come overseas at 18. His thinking and instincts appear a second slow and he can compound mistakes quickly. If he can ever come around, though, he can be a great contributor.

Fulk is a perfect type of dude to eat up needed minutes down low with a couple of put backs, dunks, rebounds, a shot block or two and then he gives way back to a rested starter. If he starts, we are in Charles Hathaway post-blood clot status.

8. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

And there’s a chance Kelvin Sampson ends up at Arkansas.

9. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Pons needs to get the ball off his wrists and get some ballhandling and shooting work. Hes gotten away with being big and athletic his whole life and didnt learn basic stuff. Imagine if he developed into a decent ballhandler, had a midrange, could post up and use a little jump lefty hook. Get 6 rebounds per game to boot.
    And play defense a few time without forgetting who he is guarding.

10. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Williams, I’d think, is a 3 in the league. He could stand to improve his shooting from 15-feet +.

Just doesn’t strike me as a lock in the first round based on his game and measurables.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think he'd need to demonstrate being able to more consistently shoot from outside, but at the same time he is best in the college game in the paint. So I am not sure him coming back to be a better prospect would be the same as coming back and being the best college player he can be.

12. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Can Williams guard NBA 3’s? I see him as more of a small ball 4.

13. Ssmiff

One thing Grant does do well that is odd for his body size and legs is get off the court quickly. He is one of the fastest jumpers ive seen in person. Part of it anticipation as wall. That will help him but his lateral quickness and inability to hit the pro 3 consistently will keep him from playing. Question is does he want to play nba bad enough right now to go work on those skills in D league and summer league while getting paid, or spend the time at UT on campus doing it and going for a 3rd POY while taking a grad student class

14. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Williams would get eaten alive as a 3 in the NBA.

15. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

And as a 4.

utvol0427 likes this.
  16. Ssmiff

Watching Owens for TT. Didnt he leave when Tyndall was fired? We coulda used his energy when Kyle was struggling

17. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Yeah he's got a better shot at the 3, in my opinion.

18. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Williams skill coupled with his height fits the Euro league game.

If he was a legit 6-8/9 or was as good from 15 and out as he is 15 and in he could play in the NBA.

Having said all that, hes draftable I just dont think he can make a career impact there.

utvol0427 likes this.
  19. YankeeVol

YankeeVol Member

No for both currently. Both have shown flashes here and there.

20. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

For anyone wondering if Bowden can fill Admiral’s shoes from a production stand point, take a look at Josh Richardson’s junior and senior year statistics. He and Bowden are honestly somewhat similar players. Their junior year numbers are almost identical, with Bowden shooting the 3 better and Richardson being the better defender.

Richardson made his NBA jump between his junior and senior year. No reason why Bowden can’t do the same, and it may even be more likely with him already averaging less minutes and starting 31 less games this season.