2019-2020 Season

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by Indy, Mar 29, 2019.

1. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

If Owens stayed, he would’ve run out of eligibility last year. Could’ve allowed Kyle to redshirt his freshman year though. But he was done with UT after Tyndall was fired.

2. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

It was pointed out to me that Williams and Draymond Green are basically the exact same size. Grant looks more slender, but their listed heights and weights are almost dead on. I wonder if that's his path forward--trying to carve out the same kind of niche that Draymond did (without all the extracurriculars)

3. Tar Volon

It's totally fair to say that nobody is replacing Admiral'd production unless James is amazing or someone on the roster makes the kind of jump that you're talking about. It's also fair to say that we're not guaranteed anybody making that kind of jump. But it's also not at all outside the realm of possibility.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

I love admiral. admiral had empty halves, empty minutes, on a somewhat regular basis. his mountains were so high, it went overlooked.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

he would frequently score 90% or more of his points in a single half. very hot/cold

6. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

He rode a wave of emotion. It made him great at times and made him disappear others.

7. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Draymond seems quicker and more athletic than Williams. Maybe Williams could improve both of those things once he's focusing full-time on basketball.

8. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Draymond was the last person before Morant to have a triple double in the NCAAT. I don't see that many similarities between he and Williams.

9. Tar Volon

They're both big guys who aren't the size of traditional NBA bigs, both quick, excellent passers, and good scorers at the college level, but don't really have the shooting range to be NBA 3s. I am not here saying I expect Williams to have the kind of success that Green has, just that there is a path (other than three-point shooting) for undersized bigs in the pros. You have to be exceptional to walk that path though. Williams is exceptional, but I'm not sure he's exceptional enough.

10. YankeeVol

YankeeVol Member

11. Tar Volon

Not sure if he really thinks this or is covering his ass, but either way, this tweet was a good idea.

utvol0427 likes this.
  12. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Who says Barnes can't?

13. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

That doesn't make any sense.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Barnes.

YankeeVol and utvol0427 like this.
  15. IP

IP Super Moderator

maybe we should not eat our own and give our dudes some latitude.

16. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

He played on emotion.

17. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

People are upset and looking to start pointing fingers as to why our season is done. When in fact its done due to [uck fay]ing bullshit fade away 3s going in, especially with 35 seconds left, and a bailout foul with 1 second after their dude pushes off, steps out of bounds on his right heel for a millisecond to gather himself and the ball, then turns his hip and kicks his leg to create contact.
    We have a 2 time taller POY, taller and as quick on Cline all over him. And he hits.
    We were there and ready to take it. Didnt happen.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

all of this. there was a nasty tendency to play to the clock rather build and protect a lead for 40 minutes, too. so many games where less than total effort was,given right up until the final minutes

19. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

True as well but basketball is a game of runs and momentum swings like no other sport. We found our way more times than not and usually did it playing team ball vs having a guy dribble across half court and shoot without passing the ball. I dont know that our fan base would tolerate that type of basketball.

20. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

I see the physical similarity. I dont think they re games as all that similar.