2018-2019 College Basketball thread/NCAA Tournament Talk

Discussion in 'Sports' started by bostonvol, Nov 6, 2018.

1. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

I feel like I’ve been clear enough, but maybe I haven’t. That is not my position. Im fine with calling it by the book. But we aren’t and unless the rules change we can’t, it would ruin the game.

2. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Holding is a totally different ball game.

If the defender initiates contact on a shooter, like what happened to Guy, it's always going to be a foul. If the shooter initiates contact while the defender is standing ground, barring the defender raking his arms, that is not a foul.

3. RockyHill

You’re missing the point. Holding, by the book holding, often goes uncalled. Not missed, but uncalled. Fouls in basketball are the same. I bet there were at least 12-15 uncalled shooting fouls in the game last night.

4. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

No I follow exactly what you're saying. It's just nonsense.

5. RockyHill

No, it’s abundantly clear that you do not.

6. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

This starts because you [itch bay] about Guy getting the foul call, and it was a foul. Then go on to [itch bay] about Brown not getting a foul call at the end when he initiated contact and the defender was up and down.

It's nonsense. Drop this ridiculously stupid argument.

7. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Blatant holds by the left tackle usually get called.

Blatant fouls where the guy runs into the shooter and doesn't give him room to land also usually get called too.

NashVol11 and lylsmorr like this.
  8. RockyHill

Wtf? I totally respect the position that CFB and CBB officiating is horseshit because games are not officiated totally by the rule book but can we at least acknowledge that this is the case?

9. RockyHill

“Blatant”. That word has no value here. We’re talking black and white rules are we not?

10. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

It's unfair, Card. Unfair, I tell you.

11. CardinalVol

I'm just telling you the dumbass ran into him and didn't let him land. That's a foul whether you like it or not. Pull up a foot sooner and that's a no call.

12. RockyHill

It wasn’t a foul each time it happened in the preceding 39 minutes. That’s the rub.

13. CardinalVol

Sorry, it was in this situation. Pull up a foot sooner and it's not.

14. CardinalVol

It's a foul. That the refs did/didn't call it before then is not my problem. It was a foul that was called correctly even if it wasn't the rest of the game/tournament/season.

15. RockyHill

We at least seem to be on the same page that textbook fouls are sometimes called, but not always called, and not because they are missed, but because that is how the game is officiated.

I’m not mad the foul was called. I’m disappointed that because the way the game is officiated a player has no way of knowing if doing exactly what the Auburn defender did would be called a foul.

16. RockyHill

Don’t pull that BS man. Last time I checked you’re the same guy that called me a moron twice in the same thread where you demonstrated to the whole board that you don’t understand the definition of capitalism.

I appreciate that all y’all hate Auburn and Bruce but I think these kinds of post are weak sauce. JMO.

17. CardinalVol

If you don't let the shooter land, you should be breathing a sigh of relief it didn't get called as opposed to being upset when it is. It's as simple as that.

And the fact that I've watched more Pearl teams foul three point shots that one man should in his lifetime tells me this is how they are coached to do it.

18. RockyHill

Then I expect you’d agree that Auburn should have gotten three free throws and probably the win on the last play. The shooter was not allowed to land.

19. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I watched the game, and no telling how many other games this year, and dont recall refs not calling a foul when 3 point shooters get undercut/fouled.
    In the paint is different due to the number of bodies and continued contact. 3 PT shooters and defenders are in the open by themselves and its called everytime their bodies are hit, due to it being obvious.

NashVol11 likes this.
  20. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I admitted I was being hyperbolic. You're just being a homer right now.