Severe Weather Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by countvolcula, Aug 18, 2011.

1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

It was April 27, 2011.

My dad's 1st cousin was married to a woman from Gordo, just outside Tuscaloosa. She passed due to breast cancer.

Anyway, her maiden name was Brown. Her either nephew or 1st cousin, can't remember, was All-American D tackle from Alabama, Shannon Brown. Shannon's daughter was visiting her boyfriend who was the long snapper for Bama when the tornado hit. She was bliwn/sucked out of his apartment by the tornado & killed. Bad deal all around.

https://www.tuscaloosanews.com/sports/20110512/scholarship-honors-shannon-browns-daughter

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Slightly, but we are right at the starting line. March is the worst for the South, with the highest threat area centered on Ms/AL and moving west and north as we go into pril, may, and the summer.

3. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I will be traveling through there in late March so hopefully we don't run into any of this. Scary shit.

4. JayVols

Mississippi & Alabama are known as Dixie Alley, but yes. The Tornado Alley area has expanded eastward. Large tornadoes aren't foreign to the deep South, but they are definitely becoming more frequent.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

odds are you won't. Risk is relative. best thing you can do is pay attention and prepare accordingly.

we need storm shelters in these trailer parks, that would help limit the fatalities.

6. JayVols

My buddy & I were driving through Kentucky (Frankfurt area) in October one year headed to Chicago for a wedding. It was dark & every couple of minutes a tornado warning came across the radio. I wasn't familiar with the counties, so I looked them up on my phone. Every county, including the one I was in, was tornado warned. We decided to cut our goal of Louisville short, just get a hotel room & finish the drive the next day. My buddy immediately fell asleep. All of a sudden, the door sounded like someone was outside trying to jerk it open as hard as they could. I got my pistol, racked a round & peeped out the window. No one was there, but the tops of trees were nearly touching the ground from the wind. That tornado was trying to rip the door off.

Was in another at a Civil War re-enactment in 2002 in Aiken, SC in February. We were 2 miles from any shelter. Just had to sit there with trees breaking & falling around us. Was pretty awesome.

7. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

We are only staying 1 night and then going on down to Florida so hopefully we hit it right and don't run into anything.

8. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

That would have been terrifying, especially being in a hotel. I would have not slept at all.

9. JayVols

I thought it was cool. Scary, but cool.

Then again, I want to go chase tornadoes. Would love to be in a Tornado Intercept Vehicle (TIV) & let one hit me. I find it fascinating. I might possibly piss myself, but still think it would be awesome.

10. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

My wife loves that shit too (one of her favorite movies is Twister). I prefer to stay in the basement and drink whiskey during the storm.

11. JayVols

Not a bad option at all.

zehr27 likes this.
  12. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

14. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

When I hear him say it's going to be cold another 6 weeks, and it's not, I'll say he's wrong. Until now, he hasn't said a word to me.

15. JayVols

16. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

17. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Now videos don't work fo ne either.

18. JayVols

It's a conspiracy.

NorrisAlan and kmf600 like this.
  19. gcbvol