Wi-Fi Questions

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Indy, Apr 10, 2019.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

No. Name them both the same name, give them both the same password. The device, depending on the device, Apple generally will not..., will auto range, and if they are named the same SSID with the same password, you'll still get access the farther you are away without having to switch SSIDs.

Set 2.4 to channel 6. Do not change it, ever.

The good news is that leaving your default user and pass on your router will cause someone to eventually update it for you...

2. fl0at_

Comcast charges $5 per month or so for rental modem. They do it for 2 or 3 years I think. That's $120 - 180 for a modem. You can find the same modem in white for cheaper.

Logically, your next question is especially dumb. And here is why: how often does Comcast come out and change out your router? Even if your own router does get outdated... Comcast isn't giving you a new one. So at best, they are equally outdated, except you own your own.

Secondly, Wifi has standards. They don't sneak up on you. You can plan around the next hike. Spoiler, it won't matter. The rest of your shit (Xbox, computer, phone, Alexa, wireless vibrator, etc) will be on a standard OLDER than your router. Because... you bought them a long time ago, and are just now buying a router.

IP and dknash like this.
  3. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Because some of us have standards for our entertainment. 4k streaming requires ~15MBps, with 25MBps recommended. I bet you watch channels below 1000 too.

4. fl0at_

Even at 25 MBps, you’re paying for twice the “recommended” down, without knowing what the server has as up.

5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

This thread looks like it got fun. Always is when Float is involved. I'm traveling a lot this week but will try to circle back this weekend to read and respond.

I will say though, I hooked the Xbox up to a hardwire connection, and the difference was noticeable. The statistics in the settings said it bumped up to 370+ mbps. I only had about an hour or so to play, but it was lag free.

6. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

25 is recommended. And that’s assuming nobody else is doing shit on your network. Like say, someone else streaming 4K in another room.

7. fl0at_

25 Mega BITS per second is recommended for 4K, which is 3 mega bytes and a mega bit per second.

50 Mega BYTES per second is therefore 16x more connection than you need to stream 4K video.

8. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Float's just jealous that he's still stuck on 6Mbps DSL at $40/month

NorrisAlan likes this.
  9. fl0at_

When I need fast internet, I just use the neighbors’.

10. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Is that you between 2 and 4 am killing my internet?

11. fl0at_

I could make a joke about a fat pipe.

12. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

My comcast works 5 minutes on, 5 off. They've sent me almost 25,000 reset signals and say, ok, that should fix it. The next best fix is, when was the last time you turned it off?

13. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

How on earth was using a wired connection not the very first thing you tried when wanting a better connection.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

it's truly incredible. truly.

justingroves likes this.
  15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's Indy

16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Because that’s not a logical first step in my situation. I never said “I want a better connection.” I said I want my connection to go back to being as good as it once was.

Logic tells you that if a system that has worked in the past stops working, then a piece of the system is broken or malfunctioning. The logical first step is to repair or replace that piece, which should then return the system to the full functionality you previously enjoyed.

But sure. Go ahead and act like I’m an idiot. Everyone else will follow along. You’re all wrong.

17. fl0at_

You aren’t in a closed loop. “The system” between your first hop and you may be exactly as it was 6 months ago, and downstream stuff different.

You’re assuming the problem is between you and the pole, but it might be somewhere else.

You should work to optimize the things you can control. And that might mean hard wire some stuff.

18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I am working to optimize the things I can control. I did hardwire something.

That doesn’t mean doing so was the logical first step. It also only solves a portion of the problem, as I can’t hardline some devices, such as the TV in the bedroom. Really, I can only hardline one device at the moment because the gateway only has one additional Ethernet port, as far as I can tell.

19. fl0at_

When you get a switch, if you get one, make sure it is Gigabit. There are a great many 10/100 Mbps out in the wild. Don’t do that, get something like this, that is about $20 today.

20. TBSVOL

TBSVOL Member

my new ISP provides 1G service.
    have a couple of gig rated 8 port unmanaged switches on the home network and they work fine
    paid about $30 ea for these on amazon
    and you're right, if you're not paying attention, you can confuse these with the 10/100