POLITICS Trump: Problem Solver

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Tenacious D, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Trump wants to release all illegal immigrants that cannot be held inside sanctuary cities.

Democrats call this “inhumane” and “despicable”. Geez, you’d think they’d be more than welcoming of both this idea and these huddled masses, and who will be a net gain on their cities.*

Is this not a perfect solution?

Follow me, here:

Sanctuary cities do not want illegal immigrants to be deported, but to remain, instead.

At best, non-sanctuary cities don’t care if they’re deported.

Illegal Immigrants have a much better chance of illegally remaining inside a sanctuary city, than anywhere else.

What does it say about how Democrats really see illegal immigrants in their calling it “inhumane” and “despicable”?

What am I missing here?

Link: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...release-migrants-sanctuary-cities/3443705002/

* Probably a net gain, at some point. Maybe.

VolDad likes this.
  2. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Sounds like Trump's version of catch and release. Why would you be in favor of catch and release now?

3. Tenacious D

I’ve never been opposed to the observance of any legal course. If they are legally allowed to remain until such time as the legal process concludes, not a better place than a sanctuary city.

But that’s missing the point of the article.

4. cpninja

cpninja Member

Owning the libs

A-Smith likes this.
  5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

He’s the greatest troll in history

Tenacious D likes this.
  6. Tenacious D

I honestly don’t see any legal reason that he can’t do it. If they want’em, let’em have them.

7. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Make your enemies play by their own rules.

8. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Cory Booker: Sending Illegals to Sanctuary Cities will Make Us Less Safe

That is the point Trump has been making for years.

9. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

What do the dems want here?

Is the thought that this would be too many people dumped on one city at one time? That’s fair and would be incredibly challenging. But some of these guys are tripping all over themselves.

I will add that the idea of sanctuary cities want them so have them isn’t totally fair. They already have them and realize that playing favor to ICE makes it harder to police their cities.

I know police differ by geography on this. Some say working with ICE is better. Some hated it. That’s why you see the sanctuary laws - though that was more the name given to them by opponents originally than it was by the people that wanted to stop helping ICE do their job.

10. Tenacious D

It’s amazing how smart Trump can be, given how stupid he is.

And this is their reaction to just the possibility of it. Imagine the reality of it.

In a move that will surprise exactly no one, I love Tucker Carlson’s recommendation for these resettlements, saying, “These white, upper-class neighborhoods of liberals love impoverished immigrants as a matter of policy and conviction. They just don’t have any. Let’s fix that.”

1. Pelosi’s home district
    2. Beacon Hill, Boston
    3. Upper East Side, NYC
    4. Kalorama, DC

His thoughts on integrating NYC’s two richest, most selective and hyper-progressive private schools is a particularly appealing thought.

“How many recent Guatemalan immigrants have they enrolled this year? Not enough. Let’s get that figure to 50% before September.”

“Nobody hates diversity more than rich liberals, the very people pushing it. Let’s hope that immigrants are watching all of this on tv and are paying attention. The Left can say all day that they love you, but if they don’t want you in their neighborhood, if they don’t want you going to school with their kids - they’re lying.”

All this being said, if the sanctuary cities do welcome these immigrants, and try to care for them, it could spectacularly backfire on Trump, and in any number of significant ways - including the crystallization of a fantastic swell of awareness and sympathy for them. Holding these immigrants at the border isn’t just keeping them out of liberal neighborhoods, but hidden in the minds of most Americans, IMO - both blue and red, alike. If they refuse or fight their resettlement of illegal immigrants into their cities, Trump will have ended the debate as to whether or not a crisis exists, and will effectively bankrupt and rout every major democratic talking point on the matter, thus far made.

I’m for whatever compels Congress / POTUS to finally do their damned jobs in effectively addressing this matter, in a comprehensive way...one way or another. Everyone deserves that - most especially, the illegal immigrants themselves.

As this idea seems to have gained a foothold in Trump’s mind and his Admin, I take the possibility of his doing this much more seriously today, than just a few days ago.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

rich liberals? I though they were all looking for a handout and to take rich people's money. there is plenty of tripping to go around, it seems.

12. Tenacious D

While I agree that many cities cite effective policing as the impetus behind sanctuary city laws and policies, or that it may have some potential for argumentative merit, I believe it’s conveniently disingenuous, at best. Sanctuary city laws are passed because those municipalities do not want illegal immigrants deported - and it isn’t any more complicated than that.

But your first question is best - in asking what the Democrats want in this.

If Trump starts releasing tens of thousands of illegal immigrants into sanctuary cities, what is the most likely result, and how will the Democrats then respond - both logistically (food, shelter, policing, etc.) and as a matter of policy? It seems impossible that they could somehow simultaneously argue that they want and welcome illegal immigrants...but then refuse or fight to prevent their arrival or remaining.

It’s an interesting, albeit complicated, thought exercise.

13. Tenacious D

What are you arguing here, IP?

That no one believes that rich liberals exist? Aren’t some of America’s richest people unmitigated liberals? Jeff Bezos, Tim Cook, etc.?

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm just pointing out the cognitive dissonance.

15. Tenacious D

Fair.

16. TennTradition

One argument for these cities is to clearly state that they don’t want more illegal immigrants. However they also respect that illegal immigrants have become a part of their communities and they aren’t going to rip those communities apart and turn them on themselves by performing round up and holds for the benefit of ICE. They’ll continue their policing policies and ICE can come do what they want - which is the way it was yesterday, last year, etc.

The arguments some representatives from the sanctuary cities make about the moral cause for it really doesn’t resonate with me. But the practical reasons do.

Further, I don’t think that building a wall is immoral. Nor is stopping illegal immigration. I don’t think those are productive angles. I’m not convinced it’s necessary and won’t support Trump building one given how he has characterized and treated the issue. But I don’t get the immoral angle really.

It’s much more immoral to use these people as political toys as Trump is doing now with the sanctuary city angle or democrats have done with the ‘Rs are immoral’ angle.

17. cpninja

cpninja Member

Donald Trump: Open Borders President

I can dig it

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't like the families being split up.

19. TennTradition

Agree.

20. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

They get dumped into these sanctuary cities, I believe they will not stay there. Might as well just release them at the border.